General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reflective vest question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:00 PM
blackbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stupid stupid stupid rules

This one get me fired up, one of the things that really drives me ape**** about the military. Commands can and often due "hedge" the rules to the point that it is just too much of a pain in the *** to ride to work. I don't think they do this to keep anyone safe I think it is to cover their *** when somebody dies or better yet make the process of riding so damn hard that guys just give up. They can call it safety all day long but I can't find any solid evidence that wearing all that day glow crap or completing the MSF every 30 days is saving anyone. I want to know how these guys are killing themselves and what they were riding when they did it. I'll put money on it right now that the majority are single vehicle accidents with riders exceeding their ability or the conditions on the road and doing it on sport bikes. Find me a bozo the clown vest that prevents that. I don't know where all the heat is coming from regarding motorcycles but it seems like everyone in command is convinced that wearing some version of a bright clown costume will prevent motorcycle deaths. If the people turning in front of the 600-1000 lb motorcycle can's see it I don't think the vest is going to clue them in. It's just stupid. Commanders are just like everyone else, worried about their careers and looking to the next promotion and don't think that common sense is going to stand in their way. It's sad how risk averse some of them are. That's the military mindset though, don't question just do what your told. It has it's place, to bad it bleeds over into everything else. Ok rant off, when it's warm I wear the harley mesh jacket, it has silver panels and reflective piping, so far it has kept the MPs off my back. In cold weather I wear one of the elastic orange pt belts over my jacket till I'm off post. I don't stress the SGLI too much, I have life insurance with USAA as well, don't think they will ask if I was wearing the belt when I died.

Last edited by blackbob; 11-24-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:13 PM
GlennA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was fighting this battle back in the early 80's. It seem each base/post makes their rules as they go along. If a driver doesn't see 500,000 candle power of high beam, I doubt they will see the vest beind the light. I haven't had my bike on a military establishment in years.

Thanks to those who serve and have served.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:18 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
The Military, and the American people, have a huge investment in every service member. Training alone can add up to millions in a few years.

What possible harm can come from wearing a vest?

I wonder if the same folks who say a helmet can increase your injuries will say a vest will increase your chance of having an accident?
This is the point I think a lot of people miss. Yes, commands are often too chickensh!t nowadays to accept risk...everyone wants to avoid it with the CYA mentality. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that there's anywhere from a couple thou to a couple million wrapped up in every single serviceman, depending on where they are in their career. I don't agree with mandated state helmet laws, but can't really fault the military for that or vests/gloves when they're paying your life insurance.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:11 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior

Just wait until the libs get universal healthcare going, THEN you will see nationwide helmet laws higher insurance minimums as well as a host of other "protect you from yourself " health & saftey initiatives , afterall they need to keep the gov't's costs down.Hell , Biden will tell you it's patriotic to submit to these and more draconian actions , as they all cost the national budget $$$$

Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rydermike
Just wait until the libs get universal healthcare going, THEN you will see nationwide helmet laws higher insurance minimums as well as a host of other "protect you from yourself " health & saftey initiatives , afterall they need to keep the gov't's costs down.Hell , Biden will tell you it's patriotic to submit to these and more draconian actions , as they all cost the national budget $$$$
Like I said earlier in the thread...if there's a good reason to argue against gov't healthcare, the casual observer needs to take a good look at the military's motorcycle regulations.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
RomeoKilo
Cruiser

I think wearing an orange vest is worthless. I was driving on base and someone pulled right out in front of me, and I had the damn vest on. I had to swerve to miss their front bumper! Obviously didn't help them see me one bit. And as far as the reflective part, if they don't see my headlight or tail light the reflective crap aint gonna make a bit of difference.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:24 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

edited by Admin