General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reflective vest question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockon
It's true, sort of. If you're ordered by regulation to wear certain protective gear and it is found in the investigation that you died as a result of not wearing said gear, your government life insurance won't pay out. Your fault, your decision. So if he got hit by a cage, his family would probably lose out. If he went off the road and hit a tree, they'd probably receive it.
BS!! you ought to check that statement out. under those circumstances there are lots of occassions where the Soldier is at fault, yet SGLI still pays out. Seat belts, helmets, etc. There are no exceptions in the policy that would support what you state.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Rancid17
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for the life insurance not being paid out, on a very unlikely technicality that could happen; however, as a general rule the only time that life insurance isn't paid out to the primary next of kin is is the primary next of kin was involved in the service member's death, ie murder. As for the reflective vest, I have one of the cheapo orange ones with the id pocket on the front, but have seen a lot of people that just sew on the black retro reflective tape to their jackets, can't really see it during the day and it is reflective at night. Check with your base and see how many sq inches they require on front and back. Each branch has a different rule as to the amount of reflective gear and when you have to wear it, for instance the Marine Corps only requires it when it's dark, otherwise you only have to have lightly colored long sleeves.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a kinda neat riding jacket at the HD dealer in Vegas. It was an Army ACU colored with pull down reflective strips that went over the chest. Even had a place on the shoulder to hold ones ID card (making it easier to show at the front gate) and included armor. pretty neat jacket for the military rider.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
AmmoDan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my base the brightly colored/reflective requirement is (in my opinion) loosely enforced. One or the other seems to work - the leather vest that Harley makes with the reflective skull would be passable (without any particular "bright" colors).

I wear the black/silver reflective Harley vest in all-black during the daytime and have never been hassled.

(I'm in the AF, btw - I'm sure the other services have a different perspective on the colors/reflectiveness)

Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AmmoDan
At my base the brightly colored/reflective requirement is (in my opinion) loosely enforced. One or the other seems to work - the leather vest that Harley makes with the reflective skull would be passable (without any particular "bright" colors).

I wear the black/silver reflective Harley vest in all-black during the daytime and have never been hassled.

(I'm in the AF, btw - I'm sure the other services have a different perspective on the colors/reflectiveness)
The Army is enforcing the hell out of motorcycle stuff these days. Lots of fatalities. last fatal accident at Knox was a motorcycle (on his way to MSF class).

Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for the Icon. I hate some of the DOD PPE requirements then really get pissed when you have different interpretations to get into the each facility.
(rode to Fort Snelling (AF controlled) wearing a reflective belt they SRA said it must be a vest). So I turned around rode to the other gate controlled by contracted and got in no problem. If you think the vest is bad wait until they start putting "expiration dates" for the effectivness of your MSF card. Here's a link to Bliss' site https://www.bliss.army.mil/bliss_hom...licies/A-6.pdf which would require a vest or jacket and restricts operation upon returing from deployment until a "refresher" course is completed. Now think of how quick those course fill up?????

Now looking at Fort Stewart site'Motorcycle Requirements

Riders of motorcycles and motor scooters must have completed or have proof of a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course within 30 days of arrival or obtaining a motorcycle. Riders are also required to wear eye protective devices, authorized DOT crash helmets, reflective vest (or a highly visible outer garment [i.e. white, red, yellow] is authorized during daylight hours only), and are required to wear gloves and long sleeve clothing with the sleeves rolled down. The Safety Office, upon successful completion of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course, will provide the cards to the Brigade Safety Officer, who will in turn mail them to the individual soldier. Although personnel may have completed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course, they are not authorized to drive the motorcycle until they actually have the card in their possession."

It certainly makes it interesting going TDY since I ride everywhere for work. last year was almost 12K for claimed mileage.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:15 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gman
BS!! you ought to check that statement out. under those circumstances there are lots of occassions where the Soldier is at fault, yet SGLI still pays out. Seat belts, helmets, etc. There are no exceptions in the policy that would support what you state.

I don't know if you can really call it BS when I've seen it play out that way myself.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Navy and Marines lost 60 folks to motorcycle accidents last year and have gotten VERY serious about enforcing motorcycle safety. The CNO just sent a message out about two weeks ago reenforcing the fact that if you don't wear your required safety equipment both on and off base an investigation (Line of Duty/Misconduct) could result in your survivors not collecting insurance and/or you being liable for your medical care costs. If you are caught not wearing your gear you can also he prosecuted via NJP. As a CO of a unit I just had all my folks sign a Page 13 acknowledging these facts.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

1. When dealing with the military remember that "Making mission has nothing to do with making sense."

2. During one of our Safety Stand Downs, we contacted MSF about this issue. Their research showed no evidence that wearing a reflective vest lessened your chances of being hit/killed.

3. The USMC (being fantastically idiotic) will determine you "not in the line of duty" if you are involved in an accident without your helmet and bright shirt/reflective vest. In addition to this, you will pay your own medical bills...which should be easy now that you no longer have a job. This happened to a rider last yr at Myrtle Beach from my command.

4. In hindsight, I wouldn't have bought the expensive ICON vest. Just buy the $5 road guard vest and take it off once you get off base.

Last edited by marinepilot81; 11-23-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:07 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys call it idiotic, but I kinda see their point...to an extent. If they're paying your medical bills, they have a right to tell you what preventive measures to take in your recreational activities. I completely understand the helmet. I don't agree with state-mandated helmet laws, however.

Of course, this is an outstanding reason why socialized health care is a horrible idea.

Quick Reply: reflective vest question