General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back to metric.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 AM
csmlopez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Going back to metric.

ORIGINAL: sldavis

ORIGINAL: IndyRider

When I bought mine in 2006 the agreement was 1 year. That being said how would they enforce that. I think H-D might not sell you another one within that year but as for selling it I can't see them enforcing it. As Ken has said I don't think that requirement is there anymore.

I dunno, I know when I bought mine there was an agreement not to resell it within a year. Didn't plan on reselling it, so I really didn't llok at that part of the contract too hard. Be interesting to see if HD can come after him for the 10% discount they gave him on the bike if he breaks the contract (if it's still in there)
Otherwise, I guess you could buy these bikes at discount and resell them one after the other and make a pretty good penny on them.
Really? wow, never heard of that. What state was this in? I bought my 07 RK thru the Military sales for 14,325 and no restrictions. I thought there would be because of the savings, but nope!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:06 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

You sure you want a Gold Wing. It seems to be a similar oversized motorcycle with too many gadgetsas the Ultra. If you lose money on the Ultra when you sell it and then decides that the Gold Wing is another bike that you don't like riding are you going to sell it too?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

To keep the wife semi happy I need the kind of deal to where I leave home on the HD and return on the wing without changing the payment much.
If you want the payment the same you better plan on it being for a couple years longer or you're going to need to buy a low end metric I'm sure owing $19K on your Ulra has you "upside down".

Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to own a Goldwing, I know shocking ain't it. Wife hated to ride on it she always got sea sick from the way it sways going down the road.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: jwb47

ORIGINAL: csmlopez

Try e-bay as mentioned earlier or HD trader. You want a Metric, get a Metric. There is no shame in that at all. Dude, what is important is that you enjoy the ride, have fun with it. I have one of each, Metric Honda VTX 1312 and a Road King. The Honda is pretty much maintenance free; change of oil (AMSOIL), filters and plugs and you are good to go. The best part of a Metric is you can do everything your self because there is not much to do. Harleys are a more solid bike and a bit heavier than the VTX. The chrome on the Harley is solid and the bike hadles great, but it requries a bit more maintenance than the VTX. The VTX seat is about 24 inches from the ground and for my height it is perfect and I feel more in control on a slow tihgt turn like them cops do on Ride Like a pro. The Road King seat is approx three inches higher and I can not turn as good on the slow roll. The Honda's accesories are cheaper and and there are more options (IMO) to do upgrades and conversions. But on the Harleys it does not require much up grades because I think for the most pert they are beautiful bikes. Not to mention the big price diference between the two of them.

Who gives a flying duck fart what anyone thinks about what you ride as long as you ride and you enjoy the ride! So sell if you most and buy if you will.

See you at Sturgis, I'll be on my Road King, but I respect what ever choice you make in bikes!

Be safe, ride hard and be free!
IM sorry brother but that dog just dont hunt I own both h-d and a kawasaki and do service on my dads honda , there isnt a dollars worth of difference in the price of accesories and there isnt half the aftermarket parts for metrics that there are for harleys .
amisol is amisol it dont matter what brand of bike you put it in and it cost more than syn three around here. harleys are pretty well plug and play change the fluids regular , keep the air cleaner clean , adjust your clutch when needed and grease what bearings you can at the specified interval . thats it . you must do the same thing with metric bikes plus adjustand lube the final drive chain every 1500 miles adjust the valves every 6000-8000 miles, maintain the radiator and hoses. when was the last time you had to sync the carbs on a harley . and if you compare model to model there isnt 1,000 dollars difference in price . dont compare a 600vlx or a 750 shadow to an ultra glide. an ultra glide is gonna cost you 22,000 bucks and so is a dressed gold wing an 883 is around 6800 dollars and so is a honda 750 . ride what you like, I do. I dont mean to hammer on you personally I just get tired of seeing people make claims that just arent factual.
+1

The Wing and the HD are pretty comparible in costs when it comes right down to it. Hubby has a VTX 1800 right now it is a really nice bike.His cost for maintenance was about the same as mine on the Deluxe (excluding the extra maintenance for a new bike)...funny but tires cost the same too and he goes through them just as fast.

Honda offers quite a few parts but not nearly the selection you can find for a Harley. We had a heck of a time trying to find a removable backrest so he could strap on a bag. There is also a huge difference in dealer support. We have walked into several Honda shops asking about this or that and got the deer in the headlight look...like you want to add bags to your bike or do other mods? No one ever does that[:@] FYI...Wings dohave a load of aftermarket stuff that the Honda Cruisers do not have.

The only complaint he has about his bike is that it is front heavy. Even with my fairing I am not nearly as front heavy as him. BTW his 1800 weighs about the same or slightly more then then the Road King (Dry) and the Goldwing weighs about 60 lbs

Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
towboattrash34
Banned

just sounds like you just need to rent a bike for a couple of years....

Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude, you must drive your wife crazy.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bye

Old 02-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Fun Rider 05
Cruiser

What is it about Goldwings? I took a 6000 mile ride from Indiana to Oregon,Washington and back using only secondary roads and all I saw were Harleys and sport touring bikes, mostly BMWs. The only time I did see a GW was when I neared an expressway exit looking for motels. So I ask if they tour were do they go???

Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM
maxum96
Cruiser

Order form for my 08 POSE Ultra. In the middle of the form it talks about not reselling the bike. I seriously doubt that they enforce that provision.

Quick Reply: Going back to metric.