General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back to metric.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Going back to metric.

Here is something crazy for you to think about.

The ad below (at the bottom of the page in quote) showed up tonight in our classified section posted by a guy who just joined the forum. You will notice that the bike below sold for around $21000. The guy on HDF posted the same ad but only wanted $6000 for the exact same bike. He claimed to be from California but his IP Address came back to Chicago. Just wanted you guys to know that there is always somebody out there trying to rip you off. Here is the ad I pulled:

peterwhitlow
titleAndStar(1,0,0,false,"Banned User",")Banned User

[align=center][/align]
2008 HD Ultra Classic

Year: 2008 Warranty: Existing
Miles: 1800 Engine Size (cc): 96
Condition: Used Title: Clear
Exterior: Blue

We have for sale our 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Touring Bike.

It only has about 1800 miles on it.

We are selling our bike purely for economic reasons. We plan on replacing it as soon as we can. Here is what this bike has to offer:

* 2 Helmets with Intercom system in both. L & XXL

* The dash of the bike has had the chrome accent pieces installed on the gauges and the audio system

* I have replaced the original windscreen with a 15 Harley screen. I am taller and needed the extra height.

* I have had forward foot rests installed on the engine roll bar.

* I have installed the 3 inside wind screen pouches for extra convenient storage.

* I have installed the chrome accent rings on the rear speakers.

* I have installed a set of the HD heat deflectors to help channel the heat from the back cylinder

* I have installed the rack on top of the trunk

* I have replaced the 2 - 5 foot wire antennas with more dense shortys – they work great

* I have had installed the HD adapter which will allow the rear turn signals to light up as well as the brake lights when braking. I really want to be seen!

* I also have the suspension pump which will allow you to adjust the air pressure in the rear shock.

* Lastly, I have a HD bike cover for it when your on the road and parked overnight.

Please contact me for pictures as I am not able to upload them here! thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,910 Likes on 13,491 Posts

Whats with the "ultra pose" remark?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any objective person on this thread would grudgingly admit that the Wing is the best touring rig you can own. However, as one member stated above, the Wing doesn't have the heart and soul like the Ultra.
I rode from Bar Harbor Maine to almost Halifax,NS with a guy who just purchased a new GW. 1800cc's of like being shot out of a cannon when he accelerated to pass someone and we were already doing 70mph(or was it kph). It looked cushy and comfy. He had just rode from Toronto and didn't seem remotely duressed. But as bespoken by Tony, the bikejust didn't seem to have any endearing qualities that drewme to it. It looks impressive, space ship like. It does have a following to some degree, national groups, organizations and rallies. So it wouldn't be w/out that brotherhood element of other fellow Goldwing riders. While he was on his GW and I was on mybike, we got along great. I laugh to myself when Irememberthe reason for his new purchase.......celebrating his recent divorce!

2057ken,

As I posted earlier your choice of both bikes are excellent and you prefer the GW. No flies on you. The task at hand is to get the most out of your resale. The no fuss quick release, is a trade in. You loose big. As I posted earlier have patience and private sale by all the great suggestions here by other posters. Craigs list, ebay, your local paper, your regional bargain trader magazine. Hell post it here on the for sale section on the opening of the forums page under "bikes sales". If you get even close to most of your money back I'll be happy for you. Its possible. You're gonna have to work it and be patient.

And how odd that the Kelly blue book site won't show anything trade in or retail value for 2008,2007 or 2006 Ultra Peace Officer SE. Wonder why that is. I was trying to show you the massive difference between what you would get on a trade in and what the dealer would resell it for.

May I suggest to consider selling it for what you owe(19,000$). Cut your loses and call it a wash. Get your dream bike and live and learn. Or consider selling it, splitting the difference between what you'd loose on a trade in and what you'd gain on a private sale? For example if you could would get 22,500 on a private sale but onlt 18,000 on a trade in(if that) the difference between the 2 prices is 4500$. Divide that by 2 which is 2250, splittingyour mistake between you and the buyer? The new price if you weren't willingit sell for what you owe would be a fair 20,250. The first 20,000 takes it, being a second option, plan B deal?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:33 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As a friend of mine says: That's why they make vanilla and chocolate. In '94 I bought a brand new Wing SE. It was a beautiful bike. I sold that bike four months later and took one hell of a hit financiallay. That was the shortest period of time I ever owned a bike in my long life. As good and wonderful as it was, it was just too sterile. It lacked character/personality. To me it was to motorcycling what being on the Queen Mary would be to boating = Too, Too far removed.

The 1200C that I ride now is far removed from that Wing that I had but damn man, when I get on it I know I'm on a friggin' motorcycle !!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 AM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look around and find an indy that'll take it on consignment. I bought my 04 from one and they had harley ceritified mechanics to offer for thier customers.The one I bought from didn't charge 15%, it was more like 8-10% and you might find one willing to do a flat rate for you. Who knows they may have a used GW you could work a deal on. Best of luck and hope you find what your looking for.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Vector
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: IdaSpudSG
OK, all opinions are subjective. You didn't say which magazine you read this article in. Was it one of the metric biased publications? I'm just one guy with thousands of miles in the saddle of both bikes and IMO the Harley is a way more comfortable bike for the type of riding I do. Best ride to date, 5,600 miles in 14 days on a Harley.
It was in swedish Bike mag. I don't think they're really biased, but sure, they have a lean towards sportbikes and standards.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 AM
csmlopez
Cruiser

Try e-bay as mentioned earlier or HD trader. You want a Metric, get a Metric. There is no shame in that at all. Dude, what is important is that you enjoy the ride, have fun with it. I have one of each, Metric Honda VTX 1312 and a Road King. The Honda is pretty much maintenance free; change of oil (AMSOIL), filters and plugs and you are good to go. The best part of a Metric is you can do everything your self because there is not much to do. Harleys are a more solid bike and a bit heavier than the VTX. The chrome on the Harley is solid and the bike hadles great, but it requries a bit more maintenance than the VTX. The VTX seat is about 24 inches from the ground and for my height it is perfect and I feel more in control on a slow tihgt turn like them cops do on Ride Like a pro. The Road King seat is approx three inches higher and I can not turn as good on the slow roll. The Honda's accesories are cheaper and and there are more options (IMO) to do upgrades and conversions. But on the Harleys it does not require much up grades because I think for the most pert they are beautiful bikes. Not to mention the big price diference between the two of them.

Who gives a flying duck fart what anyone thinks about what you ride as long as you ride and you enjoy the ride! So sell if you most and buy if you will.

See you at Sturgis, I'll be on my Road King, but I respect what ever choice you make in bikes!

Be safe, ride hard and be free!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 AM
2057ken
Cruiser

Ok guy, thanks for all the feedback. I reallyhave to do some thinking about this, I know if I take a big hit the wife will come unclued. I think I'm leaning toward what several members suggested which was ride through one season (6,000 miles+or -)and then post for itsale in the forum, on ebay ect.

Thanks again
Ken

Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wise decision there Ken.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:50 AM
csmlopez
Cruiser