General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back to metric.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Going back to metric.

HHmmmm.....got Harley. Doesn't like it. It happens.
But now wants advice on buying a Gold Wing. Now has people argueing over Ultra vs. Wing.
PLEASE STOP FEEDING THE TROLL!![:@]

Old 02-26-2008, 04:40 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Fred00

ORIGINAL: biz44
I dont know what your looking for bro, but if you bought a 08" Ultra, you MUST be looking for a high end touring bike....I would think. If that's the case.....give the HD a chance. Its the real deal....where the jap bikes are just playing copy cat games.
Since when is the Goldwing a H-D copy cat? If he's not into the Harley mystique the Goldwing is probably the better bike. Compared to an Ultra the Goldwings chassis and engine is on another level. You couldn't get an Ultra to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFleFrJx7nw
I think a big Harley handles just fine!

Dragging the ENGINE guards........

Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
2057ken
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: akenaten

HHmmmm.....got Harley. Doesn't like it. It happens.
But now wants advice on buying a Gold Wing. Now has people argueing over Ultra vs. Wing.
PLEASE STOP FEEDING THE TROLL!![:@]
Read the first post again. I never asked for advised on a wing. I just asked what kind ofhit I could expect on a sale or trade from members who havebeen there. I never ment for this to be any type of ultra vs wing tread.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<------- cant believe what he just read,,,, shakes head and walks away!!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

Admittedly, different bikes for different folks.

One of the guys on this forum (the real deal rider) has a wing, a koncourse and an ultra. Actually on his second ultra. His first was a new 2007 that he cracked the crank on at 34-37k miles (they replaced his bike)...

He likes all the bikes for various reasons. There's nothing wrong with that.
Personally, I love my WG. Look, feel, character and the works it's an excellent bike. That being said I would prefer a different bike for commuting. Spending 30 minutes in stop and go traffic in the Florida 100 degree summertime is about as fun as repeatedly getting kicked in the family jewels. Other than that however, it's quite possibly everything I was looking for.

Good luck on finding the ride suited for you. I would give the ultra a season if you can wait. You may warm up to it - or vice versa.
Besides, then (depending on the interest rate) you may be in a better position to trade it.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Vector

ORIGINAL: IdaSpudSG

Take it from a guy that has owned 2 Goldwings and 3 Harley's. There is no comparison in the two bikes. Just in foot and leg placement the Harley has it all over a Wing. You are very limited to foot movement which on a long ride is very important. I feel you sit into the Harley and on top of the Wing, Harley is just more comfortable. Let me say this, if you are not happy than by all means sell the Harley and move on. But be assured that as others have said you are going to take it in the shorts.
Everyone's different. I read a magazine test of the Street Glide, the Honda ST1300 and some BMW. The Street Glide was considered the most uncomfortable, basically because it's riding position was more suited for cruising than touring.

I personally couldn't tour on a bike that puts too much weight on my tailbone. I need a more upright riding position for long hauls.
OK, all opinions are subjective. You didn't say which magazine you read this article in. Was it one of the metric biased publications? I'm just one guy with thousands of miles in the saddle of both bikes and IMO the Harley is a way more comfortable bike for the type of riding I do. Best ride to date, 5,600 miles in 14 days on a Harley.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

2057Ken; I'd consider keeping it for at least this season. I doubt you'd lose much more on it trading it in next spring, and then you'd be giving it a fair shake. I'm not one who will hammer anyone for choosing whatever bike they ride. I rode metric bikes my whole "career" until last spring. I'm not a sudden psychotic Harley convert who looks down on all others now. I just think if you keep it for this riding season, you'll get a true feel for the bike. If you still don't like it, as I said, I doubt you'd lose much more trading it in next spring. (or selling it privately...whatever you decide to do...) Plus, might appease the spousal unit a little, if she knows you've decided to stick with it. Sounds like she's pretty choked. I'll bet she listened to you dreaming of owning a Harley for years, and now that you've finally got one, is stunned you're looking at dumping it already.
Barring that, have you considered another HD model, vice going metric? Might get you better trade-in value. Just an idea. Regardless, good luck with it.
Cheers

Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

Imagine if he had purchased a Gold Wing first, then changed his mind,

Wanna talk about takin a beating on re-salenow????????????????????????????????

Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 PM
THABULL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2057ken

ORIGINAL: VA Biker

As a guy that is going to a HD from a Honda Magna . Im wondering what model Honda are you looking at? VTX? That is the ony one I would consider.
Goldwing
My brother went from a 05 GW to a 07 Ultra and was absolutely sick. GW will run circles around a HD bagger , power , handling, comfort and reliability. Probably not a popular statement to make around here but it is what it is , the truth!!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Before I bought my 05, I rode the K-LT, 12RT, and K12 with the ESA (electronic suspension). I looked at the GW and, frankly, the asthetics just aren't me. At the end of the day, it was the unmistakable character of the v-lump that brought me back. Well that and the fact that my wife proclaimed the passenger accomodations of the 'Glide to be the best, hands down. The BMW's are great machines and that ESA is phenomenal. However, the passenger just doesn't have the comfort/saddle longevity of the 'Glide. So Glide it is-warts and all. I'll fix those, bit by bit.

Quick Reply: Going back to metric.