General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you been to a State HOG Rally?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:18 PM
rvisdew
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you been to a State HOG Rally?

New rider here ... and I'm thinking about attending our state's HOG rally (NV). Curious as to who's been to one in their state and what to expect (and yeah, they are probably all different to some extent, but... ) would one day be sufficiant? will there be vendors? bike runs? Good experience?

If you've been, would you go back to one?

Old 01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: HOG Rally

I'm interested as well. I'll be going to the AZ HOG Rally this summer.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:06 AM
hdtwice
Road Master

Yawn!!! Seriously I would take the same amount of time and use it on a road trip soaking up some local flavors somewhere be for the state hog rallys.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

Either way you guys out there should have some nice weather. I was checking out the schedules for this year and wished I was back in Arizona again. I think I'm going to try a rally out here in GA or SC this year. Maybe Daytona and/or Myrtle also. I miss the wild west. I loved the ride from Sierra Vista to Vegas. One day, one day. I'll be back. [sm=shootshoot.gif]. Enjoy.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
timbo
Cruiser

I can get bored pretty fast. The HD sponsored rallies IMO vendor wise are pretty lame. Harley keeps much of the competition barred from setting up displays to sell their goods. It's usually the same ole cheap jewelry and sunglasses crap. I do however enjoy looking at the various HD models past and present. The entertainment was good though at the National HD rally held in Chattanooga last year. Trick Pony, Steppin Wolf and others. I did enjoy dry stacking with all my friends into a van-taxi cab from the hotel to the rally site one evening. Nothing like a great time with lotsa beer, good friends and great music! Just make sure if you are dry stacking it's between a couple of ladies. That's much better!

IMO, a rally is a very small part of the fun. Riding with my friends, the journey and seeing/talking to strangers about their HD's is more fun to me. I really enjoy the road trip part more. And all the riding we did in the northern Georgia moutains while we were there was awesome. Whooda thunk GA had such great roads?!

Old 01-27-2006, 11:41 AM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

personally, I went to one meeting and thought I wasn't a match for the HOG crowd. But I'm not a joiner, maybe you'll have more fun. I agree that it won't be much of a party, more like an HD open house.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Have you been to a State HOG Rally?

I have been to several in different states, and usually have a good time. There are vendors, sometimes the demo fleet, a ride in bike show, entertainment, etc.

Last year at the Colorado State HOG Rally in Durango, Co. they had a Scavanger Hunt that turned out to be a lot of fun for most of the participants. There was also a poker run and some other events.

If you go expecting Sturgis, Laughlin, or Laconia, you are going to be disappointed. If you go to enjoy the ride to and from, and have a little fun while there you will probably have a good time.

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been to many State Rallies and MOCO Hog rallies and have had a great time. HOG is the best thing that the MOCO has ever done to make it's customers feel like a family. You only get as much as you put in to it. I'm active with my local chapter and attend many events and have always enjoyed it. Hell, Sturgis is the same old vendors and crap every year too but we all pack up and travel thousands of miles to get there and pay unbelievable prices for hotels and camping. Go, have a good time and meet some great people. If you get bored then go on one of the organized rides around the area.

Terry

Old 01-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Danester
Road Master

Here's my take on HOG Rallys - GOOD TIMES- -I went to the 2005 Virginia State Hog rally in Lynchburg VA - -what a great time we had! - - beautiful moutain scenery to ride in (The Blue Ridge Parkway)...Took 5 hours of beautiful scenic riding to get there on the Western part of VA (down highway 340 from Front Royal, then onto the Blue Ridge from Waynesboro, dropped down into Lynchburg)
Not many vendors -- but hey - we were into the riding part more anyway - with a stop in the local dealership (HD of Lynchburg)
Spent two nights in Lynchburg to sprout out and do some serious riding - - Had a Medium Raw (yes- on request)--huge Prime Rib and several beers at "Cattle Annies Steakhouse" (host) -- met lots of folks that like to ride --

I have reservations for 2006 again!

IMO - - if you can make it to VA - - it'll be worth the trip!

Old 01-27-2006, 01:17 PM
VatoLoco
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Danester

Here's my take on HOG Rallys - GOOD TIMES- -I went to the 2005 Virginia State Hog rally in Lynchburg VA - -what a great time we had! - - beautiful moutain scenery to ride in (The Blue Ridge Parkway)...Took 5 hours of beautiful scenic riding to get there on the Western part of VA (down highway 340 from Front Royal, then onto the Blue Ridge from Waynesboro, dropped down into Lynchburg)
Not many vendors -- but hey - we were into the riding part more anyway - with a stop in the local dealership (HD of Lynchburg)
Spent two nights in Lynchburg to sprout out and do some serious riding - - Had a Medium Raw (yes- on request)--huge Prime Rib and several beers at "Cattle Annies Steakhouse" (host) -- met lots of folks that like to ride --

I have reservations for 2006 again!

IMO - - if you can make it to VA - - it'll be worth the trip!

I'll be going to that this year. I'm pretty excited for it, my brother has nothing but good things to say about the Blue Ridge Parkway. Maybe we can meet up somewhere.

Quick Reply: Have you been to a State HOG Rally?