General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you been to a State HOG Rally?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 PM
buckanddot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Have you been to a State HOG Rally?

Dot and I usually use the state rallies as a excuse for a weekend ride. The ride to and back are generally what we go for and any fun we have at the rally is just a bonus. Most of the state rallies are sponsered by the local Hog chapter, so how good the rally is depends on them. Some are awesome, some are lame. Sometimes we are there just long enough to pick up the shirt and pin, sometimes we spend the whole weekend there. The same goes for the vendors. Have been to some where the are lots of good vendors and great bands at night, then have been to some where the wasn't more than half a dozen flea market type vendors and the bands sucked. Most of the time unless the rally is held in a major city, rooms are hard to come by because the powers to be reserve most all the good stuff before the rally site and date are announced to the general public. If you are new to biking, the state rallies are a good place to start as they are not as overwhelming or as dangerous as a Sturgis, or a Laconia.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

HOG state rally I would like to go to one. Hell I think we should start a HDForums.com Rally somewhere I would love to meet everybody. Terry and Pilot1996 what do you think.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:40 AM
darkside
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one don't dig the politics involved with these groups or enjoy the whole itinerary planned in advance .I prefer to lone wolf it myself .I have some friends that seem to have fun with the rallies though. As far as a HD FORUMS ride that might be kind of cool. Sign me up but only if HDWRENCH starts the burnout contest with his wife smoking the *** end off of his 124.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

I agree Bill
Laughlin is not that good at all , and they didn't even have the DelMar Mile this year in So Cali

Harley D @ the DelMar Mile stopped showing up about 3 years ago...and its gone down the ******* ever sense...its the only thing I have close so I do go! its just not the same.

Ride Safe!

Old 01-29-2006, 10:21 AM
VTTIMWHITE
Advanced
Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with BuckAndDot. My wife and I ride to several of the New England area rallies mostly as an excuse to ride. It's kind of cool meeting up with other chapter members and I've gotten some really unique work done on my bike by some of the local vendors that show up. Anybody can bolt on some chrome, but the guy that etched and painted the wolf-eyes into my windshield completely by hand and with an engraving pencil really had a talent and now my bike is truly unique.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7699/B26488D44F5C41AF91280F1FD8656D24.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2006, 11:58 AM
rdpclassic
Intermediate

Nevada had a great event last year (IMHO) when it orchestrated the ride to the bottom of Hoover Dam. That was a great experience. I spent a week camped at Lake Mead National Rec Area, met lots of riders and lots of non-riders there. The culmination of the ride to the Dam was the State Rally, and it was "weak" to say the least. Nothing can take away from those who supported the Rally and worked so hard to make it a special event, but in the end there weren't many vendors and there weren't may attendees. It's always a hit-or-miss situation for these events.

I would advise anyone to attend any and all Rallys, but make certain the Rally is only a part of the planned trip. Have a great ride both to and from the Rally, and take part in local tours and other interesting sites in the area of the Rally.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Danester

Here's my take on HOG Rallys - GOOD TIMES- -I went to the 2005 Virginia State Hog rally in Lynchburg VA - -what a great time we had! - - beautiful moutain scenery to ride in (The Blue Ridge Parkway)...Took 5 hours of beautiful scenic riding to get there on the Western part of VA (down highway 340 from Front Royal, then onto the Blue Ridge from Waynesboro, dropped down into Lynchburg)
Not many vendors -- but hey - we were into the riding part more anyway - with a stop in the local dealership (HD of Lynchburg)
Spent two nights in Lynchburg to sprout out and do some serious riding - - Had a Medium Raw (yes- on request)--huge Prime Rib and several beers at "Cattle Annies Steakhouse" (host) -- met lots of folks that like to ride --

I have reservations for 2006 again!

IMO - - if you can make it to VA - - it'll be worth the trip!

Danster - I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed both the trip to my hometown and the rally itself once you arrived. It was my first experience around so many Harley riders after only becoming one myself a few months earlier. It was pretty cool seeing Harleys everywhere you went for the few days of the rally!

I do not belong to the local chapter, but I am still a National member. If any of you on this board do plan to attend the Virginia State HOG Rally schedule for Lynchburg in June of '06 and have questions about the area or need someone "on the inside" to help with anything, send me a PM and I'll do what I can.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:12 PM
npd_66
Cruiser

I have never been to a state rally (plan on attending my frst one this summer) but I imagine it also depends on the location. The rally in Kansas last year was in Topeka. Seemed like all the rides they offered were good ones (went to the HD plant in Kansas City, can't remember the others). This year it is in Hays Kansas which is about a population of 20,000 people. The rides seem to be less interesting, but Hays is my hometown so I think it is just because I have been everywhere that the rides are going to. My guess would be that location has a lot to do with how the rallies are set up and what there is to do. If it is a place that you have never been before then you might see some good scenery and meet some great people.

Kansas State Hog Rally

Old 01-29-2006, 04:32 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: terryt1955
You only get as much as you put in to it.

Terry
Now that's a good point Terry brought out. I too have been to many rallies and they seem to have a lot in common. Vendors, bars, lots of people, entertainment, some rally events...etc, etc. If you have never been to one, by all means....check it out. You'll see tons of T-shirts, leather goods, different nick-nacks for bikes and can be quite interesting. Once you been through the same drill a number of times, it gets to be repetative. Personally, I'd rather be out riding. That's was I wanna see...scenery!...and I mean trees, mountains, rivers...not neccessarily scantily clad young ladies, cause there is always tons of them, too...But I guess..to each his/her own. LOL
Enjoy and drive safe!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Wolfx
Road Captain

We will be going to the Utah State rally this year. It will be our first, and Im taking the advanced rider coarse they are offering as well. Should be fun and interesting as well.