General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making Right Hand Turns

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 AM
fraz00
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Right Hand Turns

Are they tricks, rules, etc...to making a right hand turn. I'm a fairlynew rider and for some reason makinig right hand turns makes me feel like I"m going to lay the bike down. Maybe I'm too far in the right hand lane when I begin and try to 'hug' the curb? I don't know - maybe I'm thinking about it too much.......

Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
HOGinit
Cruiser
Default RE: Making Right Hand Turns

There are three tricks Practice, Practice, Practice. Get the video Ride Like a Pro and Lee Park's Book :Total Control, and David Hough's book Proficient Motorcyling and read them and then Practice some more. Most have more trouble with right turns than left turns but practice will solve that. After you get a few miles take the Advanced Rider Course, I am assuming that you have the Basic course under your belt already. If not take it now.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The key is stated above: Practice. Also, I don't hug the right side of the lane (whether I'm going straight or turning right) as that gives too many jerks the opportunity to pull up next to you in your space. Generally, unless there are other factors involved, I ride the left tire track of the lane I'm in.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres what you do. Only way your going to get over it and get used to making the turns is to do them. I looked at your town on a mapKokomo, In and its pretty good size, take a day when traffic isn't bad. Most towns that would be early sat or sun morning. And go to town and just ride but only doing right hand turns all threw the city by the end of the day iam sure youll be more comfortable.

I think most people have the same problem when they first start riding on the right turn.

Like stated above also take up the whole lane if your buy yourself. otherwise people will try to slide up beside you to turn right or go straight and many get to close or can hit you.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Practice is the best teacher. Go to a parking lot, and practice right hand turns using the parking lines instead of curbs.

Turn your head...Point your nose where you want to go, and the bike will automatically follow.turning just your eyes WILL NOT WORK.. Turn the head...everytime, every trun.

Parking lots are your very best instructor. you can make mistakes without endagering yourself or anyone else. Practice all aspects of riding, shifting, braking, turning...Your enjoyment of the sport, depends on your level of proficency. Your Proficency, depends on your practice.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Learn to TURN YOUR HEAD, and get comfortable with leaning the bike. Regardless if the turn is a sweeper, or a full lock U-turn, practice looking all the way through the turn. The general rule of thumb is to:

Get ALL your braking done BEFORE your enter the turn
Look as far through the turn as you can and let your eyes lead you through the turn
Press the inside handgrip forward (counter steering)
Apply steady throttle all the way through the turn

If the turn tightens up, GENTLY press the inside handgrip forward even MORE while applying a bit more throttle. This will smooth you right out and allow you to take the corner tighter and leaned over a bit more. Find a corner and PRACTICE. You don't need to go fast to do this. Speeds of 20-25mph is ALL you need.

Here are some things you should NOT do while in a corner.
Do NOT look down (look down, go down)
Do NOT roll off the throttle (bike will become unstable)
Do NOT use the brakes ('nuff said)
Do NOT pull in the clutch and coast (no control)
Do NOT put your foot down (It may get caught under a saddllebag, muffler or frame, and SNAP your ankle like a twig)

Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting that "feathering" down is key when turning right! Having the perfect amount of throttle on and having the clutch just perfect, and with your eyes ahead at where you want the bike to go(not directly in front of your front tire), will get you a good right turn. Some bikes are more top heavy than others and you need to give a little more throttle to get her going.

You feel like its going to fall because your trying to do all these things, concentrating on that, and it does take practice to get them all down so that the turn is smooth and puts you right where you want to be.

Have fun practicing!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to a vacant parking lot and practice. Also besides buying the "Ride Like a Pro" dvd, you might want to take the MSF experienced rider course. They put you thru the same drills as the dvd. The courses are taught at almost all community colleges for $25. They're lots of fun and I guarantee you'll learn to ride better.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
danielo
Elite HDF Member

Do as Whaap said,if your to far to the right thats making you hug the curb.Ride just to the left of center or the left tire track,don,t ride in the center cause thats where all the road junk falls ,and again pratice, pratice, pratice.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Fun Rider 05
Cruiser

PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE---OR JUST DO 3 LEFT TURNS.

Quick Reply: Making Right Hand Turns