General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potentially deadly service practice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Potentially deadly service practice

why would you go to hd dealer for loc tite You can get this stuff at most auto parts stores and the like HD dealer is usually 2.00- 3.00 more but no excuse for what you were told I diont think I would use them for service

Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those with high anxiety over bolts backing out(and the ****), use the tried and true method employed by the expert racers, Drill the bolt heads and safety wire them, Loctite them, it works under all conditions.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:07 AM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF-I hate to show my stupid but is this 262,243 bs the red vs blue??? If you ever want to take it off again - use the blue. I have some green that makes the red look like kindergarden paste glue. I even have some Loctite keyway rebuilder that I used to hold together the timing gears on a marine diesel. God help the next mechanic that has to take that motor apart. I did use the red once to hold in a spun front main bearing on a Wakashua D155. But as said previously- loctite is NOT a replacement for proper assembly and tightening, it is just insurance.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

For those with high anxiety over bolts backing out(and the ****), use the tried and true method employed by the expert racers, Drill the bolt heads and safety wire them, Loctite them, it works under all conditions.
Jus lyke U wood on "de plane, de plane"
The "only" thing I have EVER lost off a Harley, was the license plate on the FX, and not becuz the bolts loosened, but the vibration eventually cracked the plate. Still had the 2 corners that were bolted on.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: big_al

It makes me think that I am going to have to go over the whole bike one of this nites and double check all the bolts I can put a socket or wrench on, because I am bad about spending time going over the bike..
Here's the problem with doing this. All of your bolts that are properly torqued and loctited, are now going to have the loctite seal broken!
I put it together properly the first time, then just do visual checks.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lecomte38

WTF-I hate to show my stupid but is this 262,243 bs the red vs blue??? If you ever want to take it off again - use the blue. I have some green that makes the red look like kindergarden paste glue. I even have some Loctite keyway rebuilder that I used to hold together the timing gears on a marine diesel. God help the next mechanic that has to take that motor apart. I did use the red once to hold in a spun front main bearing on a Wakashua D155. But as said previously- loctite is NOT a replacement for proper assembly and tightening, it is just insurance.
Actually I agree. I've only used blue and if it's torqued correctly I've never had a bolt come loose.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 96 Wide Glide

ORIGINAL: big_al

It makes me think that I am going to have to go over the whole bike one of this nites and double check all the bolts I can put a socket or wrench on, because I am bad about spending time going over the bike..
Here's the problem with doing this. All of your bolts that are properly torqued and loctited, are now going to have the loctite seal broken!
I put it together properly the first time, then just do visual checks.
According to a mechanic freind who races SCORE dune buggies, Loctite is reusable on bolts that have been removed and replaced. Properly torqued no additional loctite is necessary. Retorquing a Loctited nut/bolt in place will not weaken the retention qualities of the Loctite. Since the Loctite will hold against turning, care must be taken not to overtorque and break the bolt. If it's loose, torque it!