General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Tour-pak lock kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008 | 01:02 PM
CoyoteJoe
|
Banned
Default Leather Tour-pak lock kit

anyone have any experience with the Harley Leather Tour-Pak Lock kit? 54360-05 I asked a couple dealers and they basically never heard of it, the ones that saw it in tha catalog don't have any idea how it works. My tour-pak has the fake leather straps, and the plastic snap buckles. I have a luggage rack, and lid organizer installed on it, and I'm wondering if it might interfere or not be very secure for locking. Any suggestions for securing a leather tour-pak other than a cable lock???

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2008 | 01:05 PM
athasl
Intermediate
Default lock

i think the harley lock will not work with the orginizer,but i;m trying to decide also, what lock did you use?

Old 10-28-2008 | 01:46 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Ask the dealer to print the instructions for that part number. The instructions will give you a list of all the parts as well as pictures and installation guidelines. If your dealer says they can't do it find another dealer. The parts guys do it for me whenever there is something I'm not sure of.

Old 10-28-2008 | 02:24 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

I asked my dealer to install the lock on my Heritage when I bought it. He talked me out of it as he said that it didn't work very well & he had too many problems with it. Also the organizer will not work with it. I'm thinking of a small chrome or black hasp lock that would attach to the upper & lower sections. Something like this made to fit nicely.

http://www.nextag.com/CR-LAURENCE-CR...00/prices-html
or
http://www.nextag.com/SEACHOICE-1-1-...69/prices-html

Last edited by golfblues; 06-15-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2008 | 03:13 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

I installed it on the Wifes bike. It worked well, was easy to install, and we have had no problems with it in the year we have had it on.

As for the Lid Organizer, it will not work with the organizer, due to the cable that controls the lock mechanisim.

Old 10-28-2008 | 08:23 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Be nice to have but ridiculous price. I don't leave anything valuable in it anyway when I'm traveling and the straps discourage any quick grab and run thefts.

Old 10-28-2008 | 09:16 PM
athasl
Intermediate

I decided to go with the hasp lock,it looks good cost $7.95 and people know the pak is locked. leon

Old 10-28-2008 | 09:29 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by athasl
I decided to go with the hasp lock,it looks good cost $7.95 and people know the pak is locked. leon

I'm not sure how it would mount yet as the screws in the top lid on the inside may interfere with its closing all the way over the bottom part. I have to look at lot closer before I drill any holes.

Old 10-29-2008 | 03:16 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Be nice to have but ridiculous price. I don't leave anything valuable in it anyway when I'm traveling and the straps discourage any quick grab and run thefts.
Quick release straps don't offer any slowing of a theft. We were out on a ride, and had stopped for lunch. Locked the bikes, put valuables in the Ultra's tourpak and locked it. Wife had gloves, glasses ect.. in her tourpak. Some dip**** took her glasses (2 pair) and Helmet while we were inside. I had to leave her bike there, and travel to the nearest bike shop to get her a helmet before we could continue our ride. (helmets are requiered here in Mich.)

Thats when I ordered the lock. had it keyed to the bike, so I only have to carry one key. Thought about a hasp and padlock, but knew that the bouncing of the lock would eventually cause rubbing damage to the leather.

Old 10-29-2008 | 04:11 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member

Check out http://www.inertiawrx.com/tour.htm , I put one of these on mine and it worked very well.

Quick Reply: Leather Tour-pak lock kit