General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing idle/throttle cable's

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:29 AM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing idle/throttle cable's

I have done this about 4 times now it is not all that bad, however I have always pulled the tank off to do the swap. I figured this time I will ask around and see if anybody else has a better, less time and labor consuming way of doing it? This is going on an '06 RKC in case yall wanna know for some reson or another. Thanks for your help,

KB

Old 01-27-2006, 12:23 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Installing idle/throttle cable's

I did mine without taking the tank off. It was pretty easy, I used a coat hanger to snake the cables under the tank. The hardest part was hooking up the cable to the carb. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just did mine on a Sportster, only removed the AC to make it easier. Tim

Old 01-28-2006, 10:08 AM
DDDeepdiver
Cruiser

when i changed mine i unbolted the tank lifted it up enough to see the clamps and but a wedge under it to hold it up. I tied a piece of
mono fishing line to the end of the old cable and pulled it out. i than had the mono to use as a fish to pull the new one back through. I
tied the mono to the new cable and just pulled it back through it was very easy. I also put some tape around the mono to make sure it didnt pull off.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:20 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

I think this is how I am gonna do it this time. I think I will use some 14G wire instead of fishing line, its a little stiffer and might make it a little easier, or mabye harder.... We'll see. The other times I have done this I was doing other stuff to so I just completly removed the tank, plus I was bored out of my mind and it was somthing to do.

KB

ORIGINAL: DDDeepdiver

when i changed mine i unbolted the tank lifted it up enough to see the clamps and but a wedge under it to hold it up. I tied a piece of
mono fishing line to the end of the old cable and pulled it out. i than had the mono to use as a fish to pull the new one back through. I
tied the mono to the new cable and just pulled it back through it was very easy. I also put some tape around the mono to make sure it didnt pull off.