General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is handling different with a skinny/fat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:42 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How is handling different with a skinny/fat tire?

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

My Deuce has a skinny front tire. I ride .8 of a mile each way on gravel just to get to the hard surface. No problem so far. I stay alert and don't push it.

I've noticed the tendency of narrow front tires to slip into and follow cracks in the roadway. It sometimes spooked me early on until I became aquainted with the bike. Now I hardly notice.
No one is saying that you CAN'T ride on gravel with a skinny tire...I think the issue here is which handles better.

If you compare one with the other...come on, be honest...Don't you think the wider tire would handle it better being that it has more tire surface to handle soft gravel (not hardpacked)? Although, having said that...riding with a skinny tire on dry pavement has it's benefits too. It has more of a positive reaction to cornering and curves.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: fxstcguy98

Fat tires are better on a gravel driveway, skinny ones dig in deeper and are harder to control. I have the battle scars on my softtail custom to prove it (skinny tire).
[sm=exactly.gif] Been there and done that. Going downhill on gravel is the worst.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:18 PM
seeg2005
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Increase in tire width definitely adds stability.
Something that adds major stability to a 21" tire is switching to the Avon Venom tire. Those tires stick like glue. Wet or dry pavement. Tried a set on my '02 Standard a couple of years ago, now that's the only tire I will run.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:03 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: seeg2005

Increase in tire width definitely adds stability.
Something that adds major stability to a 21" tire is switching to the Avon Venom tire. Those tires stick like glue. Wet or dry pavement. Tried a set on my '02 Standard a couple of years ago, now that's the only tire I will run.
AVON ALL THE WAY MAN!!!!

I noticed an extreme difference in the handling when I switched from the Dunlops that my first bike came with. That's probably the best way you can go if somebody is looking for a better and more stable ride without switching to a wider tire. I noticed Avon Roadrunners are better handling in corners, faster stopping in rain, and handle road cracks much better. I haven't tried the Venom but I've been tempted when i read a review in a magazine. I've been tempted to try a pair of Metzlers also but I have not as of yet. My recently acquired bike has (75% tread) Dunlops that need to go as soon as I can afford it.

Hmmm... A new post about which tire to try next? Venom's or 880's?

Old 01-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Fat tires handle worse on pavement, twisties, because of the wider "contact patch" while the bike is straight up. When leaning it is harder to "overcome" the patch and get into the side tread, ever hear of "chicken stripes"? look at your tires, especially the wider rear tire, you can tell how far you lean the bike. the portion of the tire that has "not" been in contact with the pavement starts the "chicken stripe", the rim is the other side of the "chicken stripe". The wider the tire the more it resist "leaning".

Old 01-28-2006, 09:30 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although the hadnling is not as great as a skinny tire or not as stable when running a skinny tire I do nto feel as though it is an issue. Thousands of people ride skinny front tires and wide ones for that matter. hel every sportbike out thier has a skinny front tire. no one is comlaining about them. Older sportbikes had even skinnier tires on 18" rims. They were great handlers.

I think this is a perosnal preferance issue not a hnadling issue. A trike will be more stable yet so i think everyone should ride a trike instead. Its just more stable then a wide tire so we should go for it.

Really though. Wide or skinny you will be fine with either. If you are nto fine on a skinny front tire you should not be riding in the first place.