General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008 | 02:04 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Default RE: Horn Options

My buddy installed an Air Horn on his Royal Star. It sounds like a freight train when he hits it. I've seen people jump when he blows it at them! Cost was around 100 bucks and he said it was easy to install...

Old 02-25-2008 | 02:06 PM
DvlDog
Intermediate

Another vote for the mini-beast. Easy to install and IMHO better looking than most...

Old 02-25-2008 | 04:30 PM
squeeech
Cruiser

G'day, Just to answer ya original question, ... I can tell you that the HD premium horn sounds just like you DON"T want. ie: a metric, high pitched beep - beep. It is noticably quieter than the stock cow bell, and i think that it would be a waste to add it to the original (as HD recomends). I wanted to clean up the left side so i removed the cow bell and fitted the premium horn between the downtubes. Looks wise it is great and the left side of the motor is so much cleaner, so i will be keeping it, but it really is a bit embarrassing sounding like a honda 250. (no that there's anything wrong with that).
Graham.

Old 02-25-2008 | 04:38 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

My buddy installed an Air Horn on his Royal Star. It sounds like a freight train when he hits it. I've seen people jump when he blows it at them! Cost was around 100 bucks and he said it was easy to install...
Details man, details.

Old 02-25-2008 | 04:50 PM
BallisticBilly
Advanced

http://www.howardshorns.com/

Old 02-25-2008 | 07:13 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

I agree about the howards horns. I have the dynamic duo. Sounds great and very loud. Saved my a$$ a couple of times.

Old 03-02-2008 | 01:00 AM
Jsans
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jkoch06ultra

I agree about the howards horns. I have the dynamic duo. Sounds great and very loud. Saved my a$$ a couple of times.
Can the Howard horns be mounted between the saddlebag and tire?

Old 03-02-2008 | 07:58 AM
e6fmf
Road Master

RE; Howards Horns. Just yesterday 1 March, returning from Daytona. Howards Horns bracket snapped off and landed on the shift lever and my foot. Mounting bracket appears to have been breaking for awhile, as rust is present just before the final break. Looking to replace with smaller, louder style. Lot of money for only about a years worth of ownership.

Old 03-02-2008 | 01:41 PM
edtexas
Cruiser

I put a set of Rivco dual horns on my bike about eight years ago. they are loud and sound
good, much like the horns on expensive imported sports cars.

I can tell you that this horn has saved my life dozens of times over the years. Especially people
merging into your lane on the freeway. Most drivers are startled to attention, then give a very
apologetic wave and smile realizing that you just prevented an accident and perhaps a serious
injury or death which they would have to live with for a long time, let alone, the financial
ramifications.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to get a horn that isn't too loud. The Harley air horn is about half
as loud as the Rivco, and it is half chrome, half black which is a little silly looking for the money.
Do yourself a favor get a set of air-compressed horns. Some people don't like the look, but I've
gotten dozens of compliments on it over the years. You will think they look very cool, the first
time they save your life! Ride fast, ride safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51874/8543FE9D7A184869B3AB9602522863E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2008 | 02:32 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Those train horns are loud, and expensive. But you have to have all 6 trumpets for the full effect. I saw the horn on the HD site and it would probably work, but I don't like the idea of the compressor mounted right there with it. And if you relocated the compressor further away, like under the bike, you'd lose some of the effectiveness because of the distance the air would have to travel.

The suggestion about the relay is the best.

Quick Reply: Horn Options