Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some Trip Ideas from MD in May

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:27 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Trip Ideas from MD in May

Hey Everybody...

The weekend of May 12-14 I would like to turn 40 on Mona (that's the name of my Street Glide) I live in Bethesda, and don't care what direction I go, I just wanna be in the wind that weekend. Thought about Deal's Gap, but I don't think I would have enough time to get there and really enjoy it, so I am looking for trip ideas that originate somewhere in MD DC VA and last for about 3 days....

Any ideas? Anybody already going somewhere that weekend?

Cheers,
GOSTAZ

Old 01-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Need some Trip Ideas from MD in May

Residing in Bethesda allows you the choice between the mountains and the shore. I would make general plans for both, and let the weather determine which trip to take. (The weather in Va. during early May can still be a little unsettled)

A trip from Front Royal down the Skyline Drive would be a nice ride. You could overnight in Waynesboro, Va. and continue down the Blue Ridge Parkway the following day if you liked. There exist lots of "get off" spots offering plenty of side trips, like the Peaks of Otter near Bedford, Va. - the location of the National D-Day Memorial (per capita, Bedford lost more men during D-Day than any other locality). Take Rt 460 E from Bedford and you can be in Appomattox in about an hour.

The Eastern Shore might be nice - sun, ocean breeze, and seafood!

Either way, you should have a fun trip.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:15 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

The Eastern Shore might be nice - sun, ocean breeze, and seafood!
That's exactly what I was thinking.
How about a ride to Ocean City or maybe down into
Virginia and through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
to Virginia Beach.
It's pretty cool to come out of one of the
tunnels and be in the middle of the bay.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm riding up to Niagra Falls in May... around the 4th. It's a day to get there and another day to get back. We'll spend a couple of days just hangin' out. I love that place!

Skyline is soooooo close to you... too close actually, IMO. The Smokies is a days ride for me so very doable over a 3 day weekend... 1 day to get there, a day to tool around and another day to get home...

Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

I would shoot over to the Outer Banks or the northen end of the Blue RIdge Parkway & Skyline Drive. Both are good rides. I have done both of them. In fact I plan on leaving SC catching the Parkway at the NC / VA line riding it north through Skyline Drive and then over to DC for Rolling Thunder in May. From there I will go to Gettysburg MD (of course I will tour the Plant in York), up through Hershey and then Southeast to the Outer Banks. I plan on following NC coast to Wilmington before turning west to Upsate SC. I did this trip with my daughter a few years ago and will do it with my son this year.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:36 PM
gasman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a coincidence, I purchased my 05 Anniversary Fatboy on December 23, 2oo5 and live near Olney Md. I've done the Skyline Drive ride in a convertible but not a bike. I'm sure the Bike will be unbelievable. Have a great trip no matter which direction you go.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
The Punisher
Banned

I would have to say try Western Maryland and West Virgina and PA. Go out to Deep Creek Lake and go through the pan handle of W.VA. and then up into the Somerset County area of PA. If you don't like the mountains then there is always the Eastern Shore and Ocena City, Dewey Beach and Rehobeth on Delaware. There are plenty of places in DELMARVA for a couple days ride. Also during that week there will be a big LAW RIDE in D.C. to the Police Officers Memorial. Police Week is the week of May 15th, I'm not positive on the date of the Law Ride.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:19 AM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

Guys,
Thanks for the cool ideas... The Law ride sounds cool. One of the guys that got me interested in RK's and EGlides, and ultimately the SG, is a LEO... Very cool individual! Might be fun to hang out and check out that scene. Crazy to admit that I have never been to Deep Creek Lake... Done Skyline a bunch of different times in all kinds of vehicles... All good ideas. Gonna be fun to ride with real bags, and not a backpack.. Nothing like getting committed in a corner on a crotch rocket, only to have the backpack slide around.. talk about sphincter shrinkage.....whew! Hope you guys get to enjoy the season too.. I am really getting excited, these little bits of mild weather have been nice, but I want one of those days where you get up, get on the bike, and just go ALL day...

Cheers!

Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 PM
gary53
Advanced

GOSTAZ,
I live in Leesburg, Va. One of the best rides I have found is RT 11 South. It runs beside RT81. I pick it up in Winchester Va (RT 7 west). There is so much to see small towns large towns and lots of country. From there you can pick any side road and explore. It is a great ride.

Garyb

Old 01-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go tour the H-D factory in York, PA> Gettysburg battlefield is nearby also.