General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage I without the noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008 | 02:42 PM
theotherme
|
Stage II
Default Stage I without the noise?

I am researching my next motorcycle purchase and have includedthe Dynaline as a possibility. From the posts I have read it appears that a Stage I upgrade is the best way to gain performance and reduce some of the heat issues with the big twins. However, as much as I like the sound of a passing Harley, I like my rides to be on the quiet side. So is their a set of pipes that will maintain a stock type decibel level but deliver the improved performance?

Old 02-21-2008 | 04:35 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Stage I without the noise?

Listen,,, get the bike home,,, break it in, learn it, ride it, put some miles on,,,
it'll be then , you'll know what your lookin for,
To go out and start buyin what the Forums recomend , right away,, will prob'y end up costin ya extra coin!

The new bikes perform rather well stock!
Hang out with other bikes,, see/hear what their using,read more in here.
and when time comes, we'll help ya out!

Old 02-21-2008 | 04:39 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain

Put a set of SE slip on's, on the bike it'll run great, sound great but not much louder than it is right now.

Old 02-21-2008 | 04:40 PM
eagle56
Road Captain

Good advice.
My new fatboy is stock except for HD slash cut slip ons that sound a bit better but won't **** off the neighborours.

It is supprising how well the stock 96 motor pulls when you want it too

Old 02-21-2008 | 05:13 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: theotherme

I am researching my next motorcycle purchase and have includedthe Dynaline as a possibility. From the posts I have read it appears that a Stage I upgrade is the best way to gain performance and reduce some of the heat issues with the big twins. However, as much as I like the sound of a passing Harley, I like my rides to be on the quiet side. So is their a set of pipes that will maintain a stock type decibel level but deliver the improved performance?
[/blockquote]

What model Harley are you riding now, sometimes it's hard to get performance increases without a little nice rumble??? I see you're new here,, finally a post after 6 months,,, welcome to the forums.

Old 02-21-2008 | 05:25 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

theotherme:

When Ibought my'97 Heritage I was terribly disappointed in it's performance - so much so thatI seriously considered selling it after waiting almost a year for it. I spent lots of $$$ on engine modifications to make it perform better. WhenI first rode my 2007 Road King,I was amazed at how well it performed. Of course, you always want more power, but I think it runs almost as good stock as my heavily modified '97 did.

What the others said - wait for it, ride it, get the 1000 mile service done and then decide if you want more power. As far as pipes go, I live in gated community of over 1000 homes. The only other motorcycle is a whisper quiet Kawasaki tourer. Not wanting to create any noise issues, I installed the street legal Screamin' Eagle slip-ons. A little louder than stock but not much louder.

The pipes themselves will not give you any better performance, only a different sound. If you want more performance, you will have to add a better breathing air cleaner. However, if you do that, you will have too add some sort of change to the fuel supply. There are many ways to do this and 10 times as many opinions as to what is the best way, the least expensive way, the best gain for the $, etc.

Ride you new bike first, then if you want more performance, read what others have done and decide for yourself.

Good luck with whatever bike you decide on.

Old 02-21-2008 | 07:08 PM
theotherme
|
Stage II

John

Perhaps I need to clarify my original intention when I mentioned increased performance. I am not looking to get more power out of the engine. I have taken a couple for a ride and they have more than sufficient power for my needs. What I was referring to is the lean situation I often hear mentioned here with regard to the fuel mixture. I want the bike to perform optimally as opposed to the restricted conditions forced into place by the EPA. I also understand that this will keep the engine cooler and improve engine life. Is that right? And to answer your question I do not currently own a Harley. In fact, after recently selling my Honda Shadow, I am between bikes right now. I am going through withdrawal already and need to get something in the garage. I just have to convince myself (and the wife) into spending the extra coin for a Harley.

Old 02-21-2008 | 07:18 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

John

Perhaps I need to clarify my original intention when I mentioned increased performance. I am not looking to get more power out of the engine. I have taken a couple for a ride and they have more than sufficient power for my needs. What I was referring to is the lean situation I often hear mentioned here with regard to the fuel mixture. I want the bike to perform optimally as opposed to the restricted conditions forced into place by the EPA. I also understand that this will keep the engine cooler and improve engine life. Is that right? And to answer your question I do not currently own a Harley. In fact, after recently selling my Honda Shadow, I am between bikes right now. I am going through withdrawal already and need to get something in the garage. I just have to convince myself (and the wife) into spending the extra coin for a Harley.
Like the others said...break it in and do a Stage1 at 1000 miles. You can get where you want with a Screaming Eagle air cleaner, SEII slip on pipes, SE race tuner and get the bike dyno tuned. Lots of people call it the "Harley Tax". But you will get better performance and tune out the heat issues of the 96 motors. My bike runs dramatically better with the Stage 1 versus stock. BTW, the Harley is worth the extra $$ IMO.

Old 02-21-2008 | 07:39 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

John

I think KBFXDLI covered it pretty good,,,, you'll never find any modern day EPA restricted vehicle water cooled or air cooled,,, car/truck/motorcycle that performs optimally from the factory,,, folks that want that,, have to chip the car/truck,, do the exhaust and intake for the optimal performance and they're water cooled.

Of course it's your personal decision and I think you'll find all the info pro/con to be had on HD's here at our forum. It's up to you to decipher that and spend your money on what you want,,, personally I think you'd love a Harley either way,, of course I could be wrong,,, I ain't never looked back myself.

Old 02-21-2008 | 07:47 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: John TN
I think you'd love a Harley either way,, of course I could be wrong,,, I ain't never looked back myself.
I agree...my Harley is all the motorcycle I will ever want or need......

Quick Reply: Stage I without the noise?