General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pittsburgh, PA to Mcdonough, GA

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM
dave2800
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pittsburgh, PA to Mcdonough, GA

I just got hired by Norfolk Southern Railroad and I have to go for training in McDonough, GA. They gave me two dates I could go for training, March 10th-14th and March 24th-28th.

I want ride my bike down and I am wondering if any of you down south could give me an idea of how the weather generally is at that time of year. I know the 24th would possiblybe a better date for nicer weather but I want to get there as son as possible so I have more seniority over someone going on the later date. The other reason I want to take the bike is 45MPG versus 15MPG with my Blazer

I would be traveling I-79 through WV to I-77 in VA & NC and then I-85 into SC & GA.Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pittsburgh, PA to Mcdonough, GA

Once you get south of KY, you shouldn't have any real cold weather during either times. I would go early. As long as you make sure you can pack enough cold weather riding gear just in case, you should be fine.

You'll enjoy the ride. Maybe on your way back, you hit the Tail of the Dragon!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:47 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

March weather is usually good here in GA, but it can be tricky with unexpected cold snaps, even into April. Chances are better for decent weather with the latter dates.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain

Ga weather during late winter early spring...
Cool and unpredictable, today low 40's all day COLD rain.
Some years ago we had one of the worst snowstorms in modern times and it was the last week of March...
Foul weather gear is a must, and as a daily commuter in ATL traffic on a bike I can give you this piece of advise..
Get through Atlanta between the following times.
before 6:30am or after 10:00am, before 3:30pm or after 6:30pm Mon-Fri
And if you have ever heard the horror stories of Atlanta rush hour traffic..Believe every word, very hectic, very crowded...Now saying that..
Come on down!!!
Oh and another thing...Metro Atlanta rush hourtraffic extends about 25 miles in all directions in and out of the city on the major roads. If you are good at map reading or up on technology w/GPS plan a route that skips going straight through the ATL, save yourself trouble and danger.
HOV lanes are not bad at times and on a bike you can always use them

Old 02-21-2008, 01:56 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, what "Clem Bustaheiny" said. All very true.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

I live near I-85 in SC. Sunny and 65 yesterday. Rain and 45 today. Bring your raingear.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
dave2800
Cruiser

I have all the leather gear and rainsuit, just need to pick up some Underarmor incase it does get cold. I appreciate all the information and I will make sure to try and avoid the Atlanta area as far as the traffic goes. The last time I was in Atlanta was back around 1970 and I am sure it has change since then.

I have been couped in in the house all winter with no riding since October and I amlooking forwardto get out on the open road. They are calling for 1-4"s of snow here tonight.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know bout the weather down there since i'm up here in steeler country, but I have a friend that works for them and he said it sucks. He's been on for 2 yrs. and isn't full time status yet and minimum wage for layovers with no pay on back trip that he isn't the engineer. Another girl I know that did work for them quit because of the same reasons, and she said they spy on their employees, 1 tiny mess up and you're gone. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:23 PM
dave2800
Cruiser

It sounds like you may be talking about conductors. I know they are on call 24/7 and may not work steady for a while. I gotthe position of Fireman/Oiler which for the most part is a laborer. From what we were told at their hiring seminar NS has 1000's of people retiring over the next 10 years and rail business is picking up. I am hoping I will be on steady. I lost my job in October and have put in many applications and hardly gettting calls or being told I am to over-qualified. I think that is a kind way of saying to old. LOL I only have 2 months left on unemployment and had to take what ever I could get. It is getting real old just sitting at home and no income.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GAGirl

Yeah, what "Clem Bustaheiny" said. All very true.
Good luck on your trip and keep us posted before you go, send me a pm and I can give you some ins and outs of where to stay, eating or just give you a life-line if you run into trouble.

(GaGirl I will have you know that I come from a long line of very distinguished
Bustaheiney's..And we are all named Clem)

I love me some internet anonymity...

Quick Reply: Pittsburgh, PA to Mcdonough, GA