General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you select your dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:15 AM
piasspj
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default How did you select your dealer

With all the postsabout problems withdealers I want to know how people selected their dealer.

Myself I visited every dealer within 75-100 miles of me. Talked to the employees and customers there.
If it was a salesman Iask them about afew bikes. The clothing area, I'd askabout clothes. Theparts counter I'd ask about accessories or parts. I also looked around, was the store clean and tidy. In some the service area was visible others it was hidden.I went each one 2 or 3 times at least.
At somedealers nobody would take even afew seconds tosay hello orit was a buy something or get out attitude.
Wasn't hard to weed them out.
I went to the dealerwhereeveryone wasfriendly, and treated me with respect every time I walked through the door. It was always clean and well organized, even the service area.

So how didanyone elsechoose, how much time did you spendand howhappy are you with the dealer?

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:17 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: How did you select your dealer

I chose my dealer based on his selling price for the model I wanted.

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:22 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

Checked each out for myself in person.
Dealer had the bike I wanted in stock.
Researched the internet.

Old 02-21-2008 | 09:45 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

I have three dealers. One I bought the bike from because he had a bike in stock that I liked and it was a 2006 in 2007 and he lowered the MSRP by $1,000. The other is 1 hr. closer and I have work done there and buy merchandise that I need like oil filters, etc. The other is as far away as the one I bought the bike from but is a nice ride and they were willing to change the injectors on my 2006 Dyna unlike the other two.
The closest one has improved tremendously in service and attitude since the first time I went in. I like going there now but I still do my own service.

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:47 AM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member

Can we check more than one?
The nearest dealer, which I had checked out myself, had the bike I wanted in stock for a good price.

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:49 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

I had checked 4 or 5 dealers in the Mass. area.In person and on the net. Ended up at the smallest and closest to the house...3 miles. I had originally thought that the big box super dealers would give me the best deal boy was I wrong! Just had my 1,000 check done and it was included in the price of the bike, MSRP,as was the shipping, handling, setup and labor on some bling I bought there. Dam they every did a light cleaning and polishing of it with S100 I would guess. Was ready over night. Could not have been happyer with the service.

Old 02-21-2008 | 12:09 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Eeny, meeny, miney, moe, ketcha deler......................................

Old 02-21-2008 | 12:20 PM
steelhorse 1971
Tourer

Several people told me about it.I checked out the two closer but both wanted several thousand more than msrp.they are smaller but have much better service

Old 02-21-2008 | 12:42 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member

Other. Past service experience wasn't one of the choices. I got to meet many people at many dealers over the years, having a similar background gives me a different perspective. Frequent owner changes and frequent employee turnover is a sure sign that you'll eventually be disappointed. Bitchy or pushy help are a good sign that they're not being taken care of, why should you be? Price is unfortunately the major motivating factor, who you buy from should be first.

Old 02-21-2008 | 01:36 PM
Old Bones
Road Master

When I went to buymy new bike I went to the only Dealer in NH thatgave my sona $500 discounton his bike becausehe just got back fron Iraq.

Quick Reply: How did you select your dealer