General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding advice for beginners and advanced alike

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:46 PM
uncanny_natural
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding advice for beginners and advanced alike

I'm often asked, "How can I learn to ride like you?"

There's only one simple answer, and that is "you can't".

Course takers and book readers can learn and site all kinds of facts and statistics, memorize charts and study apex diagrams...and on and on and on. All of this in hope of becoming a true natural. HELLO????? What part of TRUE NATURAL don't you understand?

For those of you who already ride, just forget it. If you're not there yet (and you're not - trust me) you never will be.

So for those of you who have never ridden before but would like to start, my best advice is just to get on the bike and go. Chances are you will quickly discover that you have no hidden talent - no uncanny natural abilities. At this point you need to decide if you can be content just being another average Joe on a bike - or not. If not, then just don't ride - period.

Years of experience was never a factor for me. From the first time I ever rode a bike, I instantly knew everything there was to know about motorcycles and riding. I was one with machine from the start - just like the ****ing terminator. Never took a course. Never read a book.

If I had to translate my ability to years of experience, I'd say it would equate to many thousands of years. There are so few of us out there with that uncanny natural riding ability that I can only hope each of you has the experience of catching one of us in action at least once in your lives.

Sorry for the long rant, but it just gets tiresome answering the same questions over and over again. Also, believe it or not, I really DON'T enjoy shooting down someone's hopes and dreams.

Thanks for your time,

The Natural

Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM
gatorwalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding advice for beginners and advanced alike

I would agree with you, since I've been riding motorcycles for 51 years, and get the same question, from time to time. I always told them practise, practise, practise.

Then, this past week we went to the Great American Bike Show, in HOTlanta. They had a dude riding exhibitions, who was awesome, riding an Ultra Classic, with his wife behind him.

He sells a CD called Ride It Like A Pro, and I think his website is the same, with dot com after it.

No, I didn't buy it, but I would sure recommend it to the next person who wants serious help.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain

Somebody finally said it.....uh ok...experience is the best teacher.., yes sir yes sir indeed.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bull crap.......
any of ya wanna learn to ride a bike....I'll show ya!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM
singlepin
Cruiser

I think there is a troll in the house!

Pipedream
Advanced

arrogance will get you killed on a bike........

doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: uncanny_natural

I'm often asked, "How can I learn to ride like you?"

There's only one simple answer, and that is "you can't".

Course takers and book readers can learn and site all kinds of facts and statistics, memorize charts and study apex diagrams...and on and on and on. All of this in hope of becoming a true natural. HELLO????? What part of TRUE NATURAL don't you understand?

For those of you who already ride, just forget it. If you're not there yet (and you're not - trust me) you never will be.

So for those of you who have never ridden before but would like to start, my best advice is just to get on the bike and go. Chances are you will quickly discover that you have no hidden talent - no uncanny natural abilities. At this point you need to decide if you can be content just being another average Joe on a bike - or not. If not, then just don't ride - period.

Years of experience was never a factor for me. From the first time I ever rode a bike, I instantly knew everything there was to know about motorcycles and riding. I was one with machine from the start - just like the ****ing terminator. Never took a course. Never read a book.

If I had to translate my ability to years of experience, I'd say it would equate to many thousands of years. There are so few of us out there with that uncanny natural riding ability that I can only hope each of you has the experience of catching one of us in action at least once in your lives.

Sorry for the long rant, but it just gets tiresome answering the same questions over and over again. Also, believe it or not, I really DON'T enjoy shooting down someone's hopes and dreams.

Thanks for your time,

The Natural

Nice Ego, Troll.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's that smell?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this guy must be right,,,, Chris Carr, Migel Duhamel,Jeremy Mcgrath,Roger Decoster,Malcom Smith,,
stepped out of a crib, and went right to the #1 spot on the podium,,,,, born with it, no training,, nothin,, Its genetic!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How does he answer questions over and over if this is his first post?

Troll.

I will agree that some folks were born to ride a motorcycle and some weren't. it's even more pronounced on the motocross track. Some people just know what to do on the bikeand some couldn't get it no matter how often they ride or practice.

Quick Reply: Riding advice for beginners and advanced alike