Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding advice for beginners and advanced alike

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
xmarine
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding advice for beginners and advanced alike

Sorry Bug, I gotta disagree with ya.
Trolls are upset.........the village wants their 'IDIOT' back!
xmarine

Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 PM
techdct
Advanced

One piece of advise is to practice things like emergency stopping. Often times you know what to do if you have time to think about it, however, how are your reflexes trained? By practicing, it tends to become reflex when needed. For example, I have seen rear wheel lockup in real a emergency whereas driver knew to use the front/rear breaks together. Another reflex is to break or slow down in curves when you enter one a little too quickly. Your reflexes are telling you one think and you should be doing the opposite.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Effete Impudent Snob Troll! Inate talent puts you ahead of the game, but without experience and training one will not succeed.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Since I know how to go straight with my bike but have trouble turning, stopping, starting, curves, backing up, and parking are you saying there is no help for me? Practice will not help? [sm=boosign.gif]

Let me start by saying BULL! I have mentored people that had problems chewing gum and walking at the same time. Does different people have different gifts? Yea they do so some riders take to riding better than others. I am one of those riders that took to it like a fish does to water but some arent. What God didnt gift you practice will allow you. There are levels of abilities I must admit. I will take a twistie but there are people out there that will make me look like a beginer. Their abilities are must better than mine even though I can stay with them if I want too because of NOTHING more than practice did it for me. New riders should never be given up on. Old riders that just use the back brake only (I find most bad habbits of old riders) they may break the habbit or might not. Most rather just continue on their bad behavior and thats ok its not my place to critisize them.

Give me a new rider that cant do nothing right and I will have themrunning in 4 weeks as hard as a seasoned rider if they know how to ride a bicycle. Experience will teach them how not to get killed though.Longevity in our sport comes with experience. Tools can be taught but learning to stay alive and safe takes lifes turns and twisties. I can talk till I am blue in the face and I will not cover all situations a rider will face because I have not faced them all.

I am not a pro but I try to help new riders all I can. I think our sport is the best sport in the world and I promote it all the time. I look at it as my responsibility to assist a future biker when possible so that I can see them smile as I pass them by with a wave of my hand.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See ya. [sm=smarty.gif]

Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems like the troll achieved his/her objective to stir up the pot. But it did bring out a lot of good ideas. One of the best is to take the MSF class and practice. Then gradually get someroad experence.Don't forget to practicewhat they teach you in the class every now and then since it covers many scenarios and will enforce muscle memory.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my first bike in 1970. A brand new Honda CB750. Never been on a motorcycle in my short life span. I was 18. There were no laws back then pertaining to motorcycle licenses. The salesman put the bike on the center stand, I sat on it with the motor running, ran thru the gears once, and he sent me on my way. That's how I learned to ride.I must be a natural born rider or more likely I was too stupid to know any better.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Fun Rider 05
Cruiser

It must be tiring to be perfect. I wonder how many people will even ride with that a$$.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 191 Posts

I used to workwith a guy that claimed to have learned everything he needed to know about motorcycles after riding less than 1 block.
I believed him. Here's the short version of his story.
As ateenagerhe asked a friend to teach him to ride. Hetwisted the throttle, let out the clutchandwas dragged down the street.
No serious injury butsome scratches and bruises. He learned that he never wanted to ride a motorcycle again, just wasn't for him.
He was many years older when he told me the story and yes he learned everything he needed to know.
But he'd smile everytime I rode up on the bike.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Incredible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Riding advice for beginners and advanced alike