General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trading a new bike for a newer bike!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 AM
az232
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trading a new bike for a newer bike!

I just don't get it. I saved for almost 3 years to be able to by a 2 year old Harley RK. Together my wife and myself have a way above average income. I pay all my bills, spoil my kids,and manage to religiously save money. What I don't get is how so many people on here buy a new 07 Harley and then for whatever reason, get rid of it and buy an 08. I've even seen threads by people that bought an 08 and now want a different 08. Am I doing something wrong? How can someone keep trading in bikes without building up a lot of negative equity? And why would anyone buy a bike for $15,000 + and then a few months later decide they don't like it anymore?

I know what others do is none of my business but if I'm missing something, I want to know. I love my hard earned Harley RK and bought it (after much research) with every intention of keeping it for a long time but is there a way to trade continuiouly without ending up with a $700 a month payment on a Sportster because of all the neg. equity? Is there anyone here that wishes they didn't trade their new bike on a newer bike?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:47 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: trading a new bike for a newer bike!

More money than brains or just trying to keep up with the Jones's.
Gary D.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: az232

I just don't get it. I saved for almost 3 years to be able to by a 2 year old Harley RK. Together my wife and myself have a way above average income. I pay all my bills, spoil my kids,and manage to religiously save money. What I don't get is how so many people on here buy a new 07 Harley and then for whatever reason, get rid of it and buy an 08. I've even seen threads by people that bought an 08 and now want a different 08. Am I doing something wrong? How can someone keep trading in bikes without building up a lot of negative equity? And why would anyone buy a bike for $15,000 + and then a few months later decide they don't like it anymore?

I know what others do is none of my business but if I'm missing something, I want to know. I love my hard earned Harley RK and bought it (after much research) with every intention of keeping it for a long time but is there a way to trade continuiouly without ending up with a $700 a month payment on a Sportster because of all the neg. equity? Is there anyone here that wishes they didn't trade their new bike on a newer bike?
1. Some folks don't have to save for 3 years to pay cash for a bike.

2. Some folks like riding something new every year (or less).

3. Some folks like changing models even within the same year.

4. Do ALL your spending habits/financial decisions make sense to everyone? Should they?

5. People do these types of things fortwo simple reasons: Because they can and want to.

6. Ride. Be safe. And don't worry about what everyone else out there is doing. To each his/her own.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I kept my 2001 Dyna Lowrider (carbed) (my first harley) bought in 2000

But I am pretty happy with my 07 fatboy..

I am not too happy about how MOCo handled the 07 vs 08 differences but they did "fix" them in the 08..

Lots of people think they NEEEED the 6speed or they NEEEED the Brembo brakes or they NEEEED the 08..or the newest trend

Wow them Street Glides are hotter than hell... must trade my 07 for the 08...

Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Most people I know have the income to do that. This one guy buys one, puts thousands into making it a theme bike then buys another one! Must be nice! Honestly, I can't even see spending $20grand to $30grand on a motorcycle. I have never bought a new car or a new bike myself, too many good deals if you do your homework! DH bought me this one new. What a fabulous guy.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

For a lot of people it`s "all about me"." Lookwhat I did or can do." For some people I`m sure it works out ok but for a lot of folks, they really get in over their heads. If you can do it without causing finicial problems, and want to,go for it. It`s just not for me. For me ,it`s more about the riding and not so much about the bike.
LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE ya know!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:25 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

just puts that many more low mileage clean bikes on the used market. God bless them for keeping HD profitable andenabling me to pay thousands less

Old 02-18-2008, 12:26 PM
mulch63
Road Master

Too good a credit line for me....
O yeah and my wife lets me....
"Sorry kids all we have to eat is rocks and sticks for dinner"...[:'(]

Jim

Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 PM
dawidmer
Advanced

Lots of envy and jealousy out there. Doesn't do anyone any good.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Consider the upside:People whobuy a new Harleyevery year are contributing clean, low mileagebikes to the used market.

Quick Reply: trading a new bike for a newer bike!