General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:45 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Helmet

These helmets are great and the company is even better. I ordered a black candy DOT helmet a month ago. It arrived a few days later to my surprise. However, I had an issue with the rings on the straps being in a location that just dug into my jawbone. It was so uncomfortable that I couldn't even wear the helmet. I emailed the company back and asked if they could shorten the v-straps and give me a double d-ring setup instead of the quick release. They said no problem just send it back and we'll take care of it free of charge. So I sent it back and a few days later the new helmet arrived, quick shipping yet again! This time the helmet was a little better as far as comfort but there were still some problems. (I guess I have an odd head or something) I emailed them back again and asked if they could make some more modificattions for me including strap length and going back to the quick release. Again they said no problem just send it back. So I sent it back for the 2nd time. I just received it back again (for the 3rd time) and this time it fits perfectly.

I don't know if there is another company out there who would not only have the patience to do this but also the WILLINGNESS...and all free of charge as well. I would not hesitate to buy another helmet from them again.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've now worn mine several times and I have nothing but good stuff to say about it. Best helmet I've ever worn. Period.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:53 AM
gilly32
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about stepping up and buying one of their half-helmets, but wanted to get your opinions on adding the ear flaps. I am a new rider, so I really don't have good open road experience yet with or without flaps. I prefer the look without the flaps, but if that makes for an uncomfortable highway ride, I might have to sacrifice the look.

Do they happen to make a version where the flaps are removable?

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The wind is loud at highway speeds. I didn't order the ear flaps, but I will probably start using some ear plugs. Would be interesting to know if the flaps are removable. Give them a call and see.. 1-800-300-9813

Old 02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

As stated in many other posts:

Great helmets - Great company.

Brian

Old 02-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

ORIGINAL: gilly32

I am thinking about stepping up and buying one of their half-helmets, but wanted to get your opinions on adding the ear flaps. I am a new rider, so I really don't have good open road experience yet with or without flaps. I prefer the look without the flaps, but if that makes for an uncomfortable highway ride, I might have to sacrifice the look.

Thanks for the input.
If you plan on riding on the highway with a 1/2 helmet, make sure you use earplugs. The wind noise is LOUD and will damage your hearing. You might want to consider investing in custom-made form fit plugs.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 PM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gilly32

I was wondering the same thing I finally got around to calling them about it after seeing this post. She said the flaps are really cool but unfortunately they are sewn in and can't be made to be removable.[:@] I thought it would be cool to have them in the fall to keep my ears warm but I didn't want them on all the time. So I just went with the black candy half without the flaps. As others have said they are very friendly and helpful on the phone. She said it would be about 2 weeks and to try it on when I get it and if there was any problem with the fit or anything just let them know and they would take care of it.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:41 PM
gilly32
Advanced

I went ahead and ordered the DOT half-helmet in the gloss black. I think I will try to make my own removable flaps with some fleece and velcro.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Well received mine today on the left coast. Took about 10 days to ship out here. I just went for the carbon fiber finish. Looks pretty good.

All i can say is WOW! awesome fit and finish. And the thing looks sweet on my big ole' noggin. These things are super light too. Only the non-Dot are lighter in my experience.

Dang, now I'm gonna have to look for good goggles for it, or try some different glasses.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORDERING SUGGESTION: If like me you find your head measurement falls right in between two different sizes go for the larger size.

I didn't and the large was just a hair too small. I had to pay to ship back to Florida from Cali but they are paying for replacement shipping which is cool.

Primo

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Helmet