General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Detour
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Helmet

I bought a NexL NXT carbon half-helmet last year because I was looking for a really light helmet. This helmet is extremely light and well made, BUT... The liner material that they use to help cut down the weight is really dense (read: HARD AS A ROCK) and if you don't get one that conforms to the exact shape of your head, it will slide off (not what you want a helmet to do when you need it most). I tried different sizes and the one that fit my head shape the best gave me a headache after about 1/2 hour of riding. If I loosen it up so I don't get a headache, I can grab the front and slide it right off my head. With a "standard" helmet, there is a thicker foam liner that will conform to your head and hold the helmet there. With this one, the liner is so stiff, it won't conform at all. Now it sits on the shelf and when I do wear a helmet, I wear a Shoei that is comfortable, fairly light and stays on my head! That's just my opinion based on my experience with one brand of carbon helmets.

I would recommend that you try them on before purchasing. Strap it on and see if you can pull it off by tipping it from front to back. If it slides, don't buy it. I wish I had tried that test before I bought mine.

If you want to compare differences between Snell and DOT or European Standards, there was a really detailed test done recently. It's a really long article, but worth reading if you care about what's on your head in an accident. SNELL vs. DOT Test

Old 02-22-2006, 10:38 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Well i ordered my Carbon Fiber helmet today (based on your guys recommendations).

According to their sizing they said i was a large, but what I am worried about is on my Shoei Full face I'm an XXL, damn. They said no problem returning, but I'm stoked about finally getting a half helmet for my H-D, would hate to have to wait another 7 days or so after they receive mine back. We shall see!

That natural carbon fiber looks pretty neat in the pictures, how does it hold up tho?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, okay I'm sold. Ordering one tomorrow!

Primo

Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Lowman
Road Warrior

I ordered a non-DOT carbon fiber...AWESOME helmet. Love the way it fits and it doesn;t ride high on my head at all. And it's probably the best-padded non-DOT helmet I've ever seen. Very comfortable with removable foam inserts so you can tweak the fit.

Money well-spent.

JB

Old 02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
BigDaddy_n_va
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Well looks like I am going to order one, My current half helmet feels like a football helmet on my head. Man this site is costing me alot of money. lol.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy_n_va

Well looks like I am going to order one, My current half helmet feels like a football helmet on my head. Man this site is costing me alot of money. lol.
LOL...I know what you mean

Old 02-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said it brother. Just forked out my $ for my black candy DOT this morning. I'm sure it will be a long few weeks 'til it gets here.

Primo

Old 02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
AcidRayn
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe i'll order one now, seeing other melon headed fellows here got um and like um
i emailed them, and they havent got back to me yet, i suffer from pumpkinigus-humonogus!
i measure 25 1/4! but that was with my steel tape measure, so prob a bit off
last good fit helmet i had was a simpson race helmet for drag racing (i sold last year my yamaha banshee that turned high 10's in the 1/4 mile) and that was a 900.00 full face custom made bucket

i'll give um a call tommorow

thanx

Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 PM
rogue_rob
Tourer

I read what you guys posted on these guys and decided to give em a call cause I have a friggin HUGE head(23" on a 5'7" body) lol. Got tired of the "mushroom effect". Anyways, the customer service lady was VERY nice and helpful. I ended up ordering a DOT half helmet. If you're in the Military, they will give you a 20% discount( I didnt ask for it, but I told her since I was in the Army, I HAD to wear a DOT).

Can't beat it! They will pay for shipping both ways if you have to return it. I can't wait to try it out!

Old 02-24-2006, 03:26 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am going to order one. I like the looks plus DOT approved.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Helmet