General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna detachable windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 AM
so165
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna detachable windshield

I agree with the others about the Harley detachable, works wonders and is on and if within seconds, I think it is easier then changing out seats or putting my backrest back on for that matter. I have coverage on accessories up to $1000.00, anyone know if that includes theft of a windshield? Just thinking about it since others brought it up.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:46 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: so165

I agree with the others about the Harley detachable, works wonders and is on and if within seconds, I think it is easier then changing out seats or putting my backrest back on for that matter. I have coverage on accessories up to $1000.00, anyone know if that includes theft of a windshield? Just thinking about it since others brought it up.
If you have comprehensive coverage, you're protected against theft.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Metalgear454
Intermediate

I tried my friends (harley clip-on) and I got to tell you I was not impressed. I have a Lowrider and it made my bike actually vibrate a little and the view was definetely something to get used to.
Looks like crap on a Dyna, but I do agree it must help with the wind for long trips. I would suggest trying the harley clip-on type from someone and at least try it out first.
Just my opinion.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i have the Harley low profile i love it. 100 bucks it's like it been said it wears off.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

FWIW I have the Harley removable shield for my 2004 FXDX. It fit's well, and like others have noted a snap to remove and install. However Iseldom use it due to the buffetting and noise it creates. It does deflect most of the direct frontal wind off. But then the airflow rushes up from under the shield, as well as tumbling over the shield into my face. I cut about 2" off which helped slightly. Still, riding without a shield is so much quieter and smoother. I rode to Colorado and back in September, I left the shield hanging in the garage. Oneafternoon riding in heavy rain,in Kansas, I kinda wished I had it. The other 10 1/2 days I was glad I didn't.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ridewva

FWIW I have the Harley removable shield for my 2004 FXDX. It fit's well, and like others have noted a snap to remove and install. However Iseldom use it due to the buffetting and noise it creates. It does deflect most of the direct frontal wind off. But then the airflow rushes up from under the shield, as well as tumbling over the shield into my face. I cut about 2" off which helped slightly. Still, riding without a shield is so much quieter and smoother. I rode to Colorado and back in September, I left the shield hanging in the garage. Oneafternoon riding in heavy rain,in Kansas, I kinda wished I had it. The other 10 1/2 days I was glad I didn't.
I had buffeting as well. I experimented by movingit down the upper fork tubes until I found a happy medium where it still protected me with less beffetting. Speeds over 60 mph, I'm much happier haivng the windshield.And the rain... unless you're wearing a full helmet, it's damn sure nice to have!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 PM
myscoot
5th Gear

I had buffeting so bad I couldn`t read road signs or see oncoming traffic clearly. Adjusting the windshielld only helped a little. I noticed if I put my hand at the base of the windshiled and blocked the air coming from underneath it would reduce the buffeting a lot. After I installed my tach the buffeting became way more tolerable. Maybe a windshield bag would do the trick too. I also noticed the position of my knees helped too With the forward controls the wind would follow my legs up to my helmet.