General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Normal" range ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Normal" range ?

When you and the SO, or you and your "buds", or just you, say you are going for a ride, what do you consider your "normal" distance for a ride? Or what is your "normal" range? When I say going for a ride, it means around60 -100 miles one way or so. If we are going further than that, then I say a "long" ride. Going out home (SoDak) to see my oldest son, is 'bout 260 (5-6hrs)one way, that is a "long" ride, Sturgis is 750(about 12 hrs), that is a "trip" for us. Just curious. THANX

I'm GUMBY Dammit !

Old 02-16-2008, 11:01 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: "Normal" range ?

it aint about miles.... its about being in the saddle a while and wakein up to reality and realising, you have a wife , kids,job,,,
it is then you make the decision to turn around and find home....
and it sure does take the "wind outta your sail!",,, just to forwarn ya... lol

Old 02-16-2008, 11:05 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife and I each ride our own Harleys. Our favorite rides are about 1 hour each way, stop for lunch and ride home. We do that most weekends when the weather is nice.

I'm the only onewho will take a real trip on the bike. 500 miles in one day is one heckova day, imho, especially if you're going to do it again the next day.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no route, no watch, no cell phone, just ride till we find it necessary to stop and rest, usually 8-100 miles one way...when riding locally..

Old 02-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

If it's out for a bike night, the 'normal' range would be 100-150 miles. Weekend rides at least 200 before I consider it a normal ride per se. Gotta gas up at least once to be a normal ride!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I do a ride with my parents it is usually about 20-100 miles each way. Usually just go to a local bar/grill or bike night and make it a scenic ride.

Fiances parents 15 miles in town or just out of town. I don't like riding with them much her mom will go on rides with my parents and I but riding with her husband gets annoying. There rides are just the long way through town to get to someones house.

Long day rides are usually 300-400miles round trip. We'll ride somewhere scenically on the way down to get food somewhere and usually rush home because it took so long to get to the destination.

Trips are when we can't make it a one day thing or we want to get away. Hell, anytime we have to go somewhere for a family thing he's like well I think we can make a trip out of it wanna ride with me while they drive?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:25 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me there are 3 very distinct levels of riding.

1. Local rides -- These are usually 50 to 200 miles in a day and will often involve 1 or more stops for lunch/dinner, etc.

2. Serious Rides -- These usually last 2 or more days and cover 400 or more miles. These aren't necessarily planned out, and I've done quite a few where I just point the bike in a direction and go. Fortunately, I've got 5 nationals parks and lots of other sites within a few hours ride, so there's always good places to go. I'll take a dozen of these rides in a year.

3. Touring -- At least twice a year I take a major ride that involves 2000 miles or more at a time. The longest has been a couple coast to coast runs that hit 5000+ mile rides stretched over 10 to 20 days. As a rule I try to cover about 300 miles between spots, but that could also mean 500 miles with all the little side trips. As an example, a ride to Denver could be done in a day without too much effort, but I prefer to break it into 2 days and hit some scenic spots in between. So I'll cover 300 miles a day but cram it into 500 miles of site-seeing.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

My children are both around 30, no grandkids yet and the wife works a lot of weekends unless we have an overniter planned. So when Itell her I'm off for a solo run it's 275 minimum and if it's above 50 degrees or so the usual ride is 350-450. You have to ride that far to get anywhere in MT. That's my Saturday ride and it's best if followed by beer, dinner, sleep and repeated on Sunday.

If I ride with friends I have to whittle things down so 250-325 is more the range.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:58 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I ride 'til I feel like going home.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:59 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Since I live on the edge of the Texas Hill Country, a "ride" for me is usually 100 - 300 miles. Otherwise, I take "trips" of usually over a thousand miles. Normally my "trips" are to NM, CO, etc. If I am going to Sturgis, Laughlin, or a planned distant destination, I will probably be with my son and we tend to wander out of the way and never take the shortest route so those trips may be as long as 1000 to 5000 miles. Man, I'm ready to hit the road.

Quick Reply: "Normal" range ?