General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ETHANOL: I just don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008 | 04:29 AM
e6fmf
|
Road Master
Default ETHANOL: I just don't get it.

Ethanol blend. I don't understand that if ethanol , added at 10%, would cost the same per gallon as 100% gasoline per gallon. Where is the incentive to purchase ethanol blends?

Old 02-16-2008 | 04:39 AM
noname
Club Member
Default RE: ETHANOL: I just don't get it.

Ethano; doesn't cost the same as gas. It cost about 50-60% more than gas. The incentive is in the tax subsidy. First, ethanol can not be shipped by pipe line very far. It has to be trucked, trucks use diesel fuel. It's grown from corn, corn is planted, harvested, and the land work done by tracotors that use diesel fuel. The corn use is cutting into the availible amount of feed supply so food prices are rising. Ethanol only produces 95% of the energy that gasoline does, so you get poorer mileage and use more. Ethanol, the more you learn about it, the more you dislike it. Noname

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:00 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

I won't use ethanol untill I have to.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:01 AM
oldgoat
Advanced

It's BullS**** for the masses. Makes it look like the Government is doing something about Global Warming.[sm=gears.gif]

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:02 AM
PowerJunkie
Advanced

I have to disagree with you on this one. Ethanol is in it's early stages here in the US but Brazil is using it like crazy and is totally independant of imported oil now because of Ethanol. The more I learn about Ethanol, the more I like it. The more I learn about the people we are importing oil from, the more I dislike oil. I'd much rather support American farmers and American truck drivers than who we are supporting now. Hopefully Ethanol will get better as the market expands and become more feasable.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:09 AM
jimb
Road Master

Ethanol is cheaper at the pump here by about 30-40 cents per gallon.Get used to it.My company is doing 4 ethanol plants right here in the midwest, and that's only a fraction of whats going up over the country.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:17 AM
mslater741
Road Master

yeah...its about alternatives to lessen need for foregn oil...needs some work...but we have to develop some new technologies

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:27 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Will their be a shortage of corn for food products? Will this mean no more corn flakes, no more Fritos, no more corn nuts, no more corn on the cobb. Well that just sucks bigtime.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:53 AM
Mandog
Road Master

ORIGINAL: snakeinthegrass

Will their be a shortage of corn for food products? Will this mean no more corn flakes, no more Fritos, no more corn nuts, no more corn on the cobb. Well that just sucks bigtime.
Its already is affecting the cost of food. The price of corn based food and live stock meal has risen hence the increase in milk, meat, and everything else. Milk cost more than gas. Hope it doesn't effect the price of beer. Now that would be horrible.

Old 02-16-2008 | 07:14 AM
LKHA
Road Captain

no there wont be shortages they are going to start making the product out of switch grass and other bio masses. corn on the cobb unless you are a stear you aint eatin the type of corn the idea that the feed source is is being used up is also wrong as the distillers grain that is a by product of the process is more usable by the rumen type live stock than the raw corn is. I think but not positive MN is 100% eathonal so that means my ultra has been ran on it since day one
[quote]ORIGINAL: snakeinthegrass

ORIGINAL: snakeinthegrass

Quick Reply: ETHANOL: I just don't get it.