General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ETHANOL: I just don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:26 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Default RE: ETHANOL: I just don't get it.

50% percent of america is overwieght anyway I dont think of more food when riding the bike.

Old 02-16-2008 | 07:55 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Ethanol is grain alcohol plus 5%gasoline to keep you from being able to drink the stuff. That ethanol is then blended with gasoline at a 10% rate to burn in any engine.

If you think about the difference in grain alcohol and gasoline you can see there are some real problems:
1) gasoline does NOT mix with water and can be separated by means of a filter. In the event of a large spill it can be cleaned up because it doesn't blend with organic matter.

2) ethanol DOES blend with water (just try thining out your scotch with a splash of water and then try to separate it) it can not be separated from water. It literally wicks up water and water in an engine is not good.

Just ask anyone that has ever run alcohol in their race cars. If you let the engine set for any amount of time you will find rust in the engine.

Ethanol is the biggest scam Big Leftist Government has pulled over the people's eyes in as long as I can remember. Surely some of you are old enough to remember the last time we tried ethanol blends........just think back to the phoney "oil embargo" and Jimmy (the sweater) Carter.

Old 02-16-2008 | 08:29 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

so does the gasoline help seperate the water in ethonol?

Old 02-16-2008 | 09:55 PM
pete913
Cruiser

Making ethanol from corn is futility at it's absolute finest, and if it weren't for very heavy government subisidies, ( read taxes ) this industry simply would not exist. If the government were really interested in supplying ethanol on a cost vs benefit basis, they'd subsidize people growing jerusalem artichokes, which have many times the carbohydrate content that corn does, meaning they are capable of producing a lot more ethanol for the same or less cost than corn production.

Add to that, ethanol has less then half the btu's per gallon that gasoline does, meaning straight alcohol vs gasoline gets less than half the mileage, and it becomes clear that unless you want to take about 1/2 of this country's cropland out of food production to make the stuff, it's a joke. I read some statistics that said for a farmer to make enough corn ethanol,or biodiesel, to just supply his own needs, he'd have to set aside 1/3 of his cropland, just to supply himself.

Old 02-16-2008 | 10:03 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

what else could you make mass amounts of grain alcohol to produce this type of fuel. and if you could make use of even a 50/50 gas alcohol and hybrid engines wouldnt this drive down the price of gasoline enough to make a huge difference.

Old 02-17-2008 | 02:33 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

so does the gasoline help seperate the water in ethonol?
The water chemically bonds with the ethanol and as far as I know the only thing that separates it is the metal in your engine.

Old 02-17-2008 | 03:38 AM
noname
Club Member

what else could you make mass amounts of grain alcohol to produce this type of fuel. and if you could make use of even a 50/50 gas alcohol and hybrid engines wouldnt this drive down the price of gasoline enough to make a huge difference.
Why would you attempt to drive down the price of gasoline with ethanol? Ethanol costs much more than gas. Ethanol costs MORE than gas. Noname

Old 02-17-2008 | 04:19 AM
ko4qc
Banned

ORIGINAL: PowerJunkie

The best answer is to invest in a good still. Make your own ethanol, make your own wiskey, and be one happy dude. Talk about true independance.
Actually its not very difficult to do...I know folks who have been running their own stills for years...not for profit or fuel but for personal consumption....:&gt

Old 02-17-2008 | 08:56 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

RIGHT ON !

Old 02-17-2008 | 09:00 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: noname

Why would you attempt to drive down the price of gasoline with ethanol? Ethanol costs much more than gas. Ethanol costs MORE than gas. Noname
I am thinking if you could come up with a way to use less ethonol a little bit more gas but than cut them both with electricity I can Pass you in your flex fuel Prius's and say thanks while a blast you in the Ear with my Exhaust tone from the 113 I was able to build with my fuel savings.

Quick Reply: ETHANOL: I just don't get it.