General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ETHANOL: I just don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008 | 02:40 PM
PowerJunkie
Advanced
Default RE: ETHANOL: I just don't get it.

The best answer is to invest in a good still. Make your own ethanol, make your own wiskey, and be one happy dude. Talk about true independance.

Old 02-16-2008 | 02:43 PM
Fishguy001
Road Captain

I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that the US govt subsidizes ethanol producers 53 cents a gallon and we can buy sugar ethanol from Brazil and have it shipped to the US for 51 cents a gallon. Talk like this in Iowa could be grounds for a lynching - as the ethanol boom is seriously lining some pockets these days.

Old 02-16-2008 | 02:49 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain

Well, I'm from Iowa. And you can come to my house and bad mouth ethanol all day long! Hell, I'll even join in!!! If it were not for the government subsidies, it would not be worth the effort. Fact is it costs more to produce than what the finished product is worth. Not to mention what it's doing to grocery costs. I won't even get in to how much water the process consumes! That's enough for a whole different thread![:@]

Old 02-16-2008 | 02:56 PM
noname
Club Member

ORIGINAL: Solitaree1

ORIGINAL: e6fmf

Ethanol blend. I don't understand that if ethanol , added at 10%, would cost the same per gallon as 100% gasoline per gallon. Where is the incentive to purchase ethanol blends?
Here in central Illinois (read that corn country) Ethanol blends cost about 10 cents per gallon less than straight gas.
Of course it is!! As I've stated before, and as others have sated also, it's being subsidized by tax dollars from the feds to make it look like it's cheaper at the pump. You're still paying an extra high inflated price, just part at the pump and most through gas, payroll, and sales taxes!! Noname

Old 02-16-2008 | 02:57 PM
noname
Club Member

ORIGINAL: mjans20

Noname says it all from what i've read, i am a rancher, and due to the feed being transformed into ethanol, (which takes 1 gallon of fossil fuel to grow, process and transport a gallon of ethon, burn 1 to get 1, plus twice the emissions caused). switching to biofuels would require a lot of extra land, The demand for food is rising rapidly and population is rising, 2.5 billion will join the global population in the coming decades. This is going to intensify the situations where there are people starving due to lack/price of food.
As a livestock producer myself, this is already affecting me, since the price of grain is high because of the demand for it to be used for biofuels, the price of FEED for cattle is high, and the price of cattle is LOW . . . . doesn't make any sense to me
Thank-you! You actually read and understand!! Noname

Old 02-16-2008 | 03:01 PM
Fun Rider 05
Cruiser

Back to Beer. What brand should I use in the primary operator???

Old 02-16-2008 | 03:12 PM
noname
Club Member

Samuel Adams. What else is that fish **** good for!! Oh God, I just pissed off a lot of 'em now didn't I?? Noname

Old 02-16-2008 | 05:14 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Ethanol:
What a load of crap a couple of big oil company lackys are posting on here about ethanol. Read just a few of the links below.
I use E-10 all the time in everything including my Ultra. E-10 has a higher octane rating (89) vs regular dinosaur fuel (87), and is usually 6 to 8 cents cheaper per gallon. Mainly, I keep 10% of my fuel money out of the bad guys pockets who want me dead.

http://www.ethanolfacts.com/
Ethanol helps lower gas prices
A May 2005 report by the Consumer Federation of America noted that ethanol was helping consumers save money at the pump in areas where ethanol-blended gasoline was available.

http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol.html
Hosein Shapouri and James A. Duffield, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of Energy Policy and New Uses, and Michael **** of the Center for Transportation Research, Energy Systems Division, Argonne National Laboratory. Agricultural Economic Report No. 813, 2002: "Corn ethanol is energy efficient... For every BTU dedicated to producing ethanol there is a 34% energy gain... Only about 17% of the energy used to produce ethanol comes from liquid fuels, such as gasoline and diesel fuel. For every 1 BTU of liquid fuel used to produce ethanol, there is a 6.34 BTU gain.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/ethanol.html
Nearly one-third of U.S. gasoline contains ethanol in a low-level blend to reduce air pollution.

Old 02-16-2008 | 05:36 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

what about true alcohol burning engines we could all make that in our back yards aour selves but then somebody woundnt be able to put a tax on it so there contributers have a reason to back them for the next election. I think it would be cheap to build a still out back and produce my own alcohol. I think ETHonol is the same but what about 100% AHOL engines thers sound be a benifit and its not label as a fossil fuel like the Gas comapanies like to cal the fuel

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:23 PM
str8pipe
Advanced

i think ethonal looks all right. i don't know if it the answer to the price of oil, or the supply. but as soon as i can get it around here im going to start playing with it in some thing. a lot of the car forums have threads about it and looks to work good for a power stand point(real good with turbos). you get worse mileage but gain 3-5% in torque. and can push the timing because of the 105 octane. and for the price of food going up. the higher the oil goes up, the more it cost to truck it and run farm equipment. and we will end up paying for that.
just my $0.02

Quick Reply: ETHANOL: I just don't get it.