General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beanie helmets, worthless?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 PM
doggiedave
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beanie helmets, worthless?

DOT helmets do not offer as much protection as a SNELL approved helmet (3/4 or full face) but I was told by a instructer of the riders course that the helmet that you are willing to wear all the time consistently is going to be your best bet. makes sence to me as I would not be willing to wear a full face all the time myself. jmo

Old 02-15-2008, 01:22 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hit the side of a truck with my face at 50 mph with no helmet. Point: ANY helmet is better than NO helmet. Don't worry, I still have my devilish good looks. (you probably weren't worried were ya!)

Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: doggiedave

DOT helmets do not offer as much protection as a SNELL approved helmet (3/4 or full face) but I was told by a instructer of the riders course that the helmet that you are willing to wear all the time consistently is going to be your best bet. makes sence to me as I would not be willing to wear a full face all the time myself. jmo
Tests have shown that DOT is actually safer than SNELL due to the fact that they absorb more energy. SNELL was so hard that they would literally scramble your brains... I believe SNELL has addressed this issue in the latest helmets.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: motordrum

I hit the side of a truck with my face at 50 mph with no helmet. Point: ANY helmet is better than NO helmet. Don't worry, I still have my devilish good looks. (you probably weren't worried were ya!)
Damn, me too!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Baron

My gripe with half helmets is the fact that they can move on your head. I suppose any helmet can if it doesn't fit correctly but less coverage equals more likely to slip. Not only that but I think they look goofy how they sit on top of your head instead of around your head.
My half helmet actually fits more securely then my old HJC Symax full face. I have no illusions that a half helmet offers protection equal to a 3/4 or full face, but it's my compromise - a balance between experiencing the free, open feel of riding and acknowledging the hazard involved. As far as the beanies - well I think they look more like toys than real motorcycle gear. Picture a dude that's 6'2" and 350 pounds, dressed in his XXXL leather jacket, chaps, full finger gloves and heavy boots - wearing a beanie. Looks like a sci-fi character with a shrunken head. And we all know, looks is everything!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain

Closest thing to not wearing one..I always wear a ball cap under my bowl, and it looks like part of the hat. Keeps the "thin blue line" off my butt..
Born/raised in a helmet-lawless commonwealth.
Live in a state where I have to wear one, my head my choice..

Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, me too!
So Baron, Do you wear your helmet ALL the time now?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Catfish57
Tourer

If its a true beanie helmet, it wont be DOT approved. They are more of a hot weather helmet, or fashon novelty helmet , little more then a coconut shell on your head with a starp to hold it on. You can often find them at swap meets, and can get the fake DOT stickers to put on the back. A true beanie helmet will often have a patch on the inside of helmet that says For Novelty use only.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, me too!
So Baron, Do you wear your helmet ALL the time now?
I'm not smart enough to learn my lesson. My motherhas always saidthat I have a helmet built into my head.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

My mother always told me full face helmet - full face helmut - full face helmet. Thanks mom.

Quick Reply: Beanie helmets, worthless?