General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about springer forks.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:13 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about springer forks.

I love springer forks from a style perspective, but never rode one.
How much is the travel of the front wheel on a springer?
On my superglide, the travel is about 7-8 cm, but on the springer it seems the wheel can travel much less, that is: bumpier ride, less control.
So, is indeed my first impression correct, or there's something I'm missing?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Curt J
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Question about springer forks.

I happen to like springer forks. They are heavier and feel planted until you come across washboard roads. They can jump and sometimes lose traction. The travel is not as much as traditional forks and you have to plan your stops a bit more as most springer front ends have one disc. All in all I like the way they handle. A bit more road feel but to me that is not bad. If you really ride the heck out of your bike (fast and furious around the twisties and many long miles), they can wear you out. If you are "cruisin" they are great!!! Load em up and hit the bumpy back roads and they can be a handful at high speeds!!! Just my 2 cents!!
CJ

Old 02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
pitbulldog
Road Captain

I don't know the technical data your looking for, but as far as "seat of the pants" goes, I love the ride of my '05 Springer. I currently have a 1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador with a hydraulic front end and a 1969 BMW R/50 with Earles suspension along with the Springer which is my everyday ride. The ride of the Springer is superior to both. It is a different type of ride due to the suspension geometry but I'm sold on it, I'll never ride hydraulic again. As far as control goes, the Springer feels as, if not more, solid than a hydraulic front end. It's not something you'd want to rip through the twisties on like a crotch rocket but for everyday riding and touring, it's a great ride.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:37 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I too like the looks of a springer,but can only speak for the originals,and there problem was no shock dampening.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

My Buddies 91 is a blast to ride, and I think the ride is stillgood comparing to my 05 fatboy....Springers are veryway cool in the wow department.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM
squirrely
Intermediate

This is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Also let me tell you I’ve always wanted an H D with a springer so I’m probably a little bias. I find the ride of my springer to be a little “rougher” than my ’82 super glide, but it’s not a bad thing. There seems to more feedback from the road, which to me is good. I want to ride a bike, not a two-wheel couch. The handling feels more exact and I feel more in control. I’ve had it up over 100 MPH a few times with no ill effects such as wobbling or pogo-ing (sp?). Washboards and potholes can be a jarring experience if your not prepared for them, same as any other bike. If your just cruising on a highway I don’t think you’ll feel much difference between a springer or a hydraulic front end. Maintenance is a little bit more but it’s no big deal. If your interested why not rent one for a day to see for yourself.

Squirrely

Old 02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

my springer handles real nice on bumpy roads, can"t really say its better than my dyna . But it sure has a sweeter lookin" front end than my dyna

Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM
mojo76
Cruiser

i learned to ride on a springer, and thats all i've ever owned. have the x-bones now and love as much as the springers of my past. i feel they handle great.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine feels the same as my Haritage standard forks. I think it may have a bit more road feel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/32914E2D6E1F4E30AB6F1CD06E10A60E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was considering a "Springer", it was mentioned to me that when making a turn, if you come in to hot and have to brake hard, a springer will bottom out and the front tire will "hop", or "skip"around the turn,

A hydraulic front end will absorb more of the braking force and you will maintain a line through the turn,

The salesman I was dealing with relayed this info to me, it was obvious he was not a fan of the springer front end,

I rented a Springer andloved the ride, although I did not test the hard turn braking theory,

I also ordered a springer at that time,

Quick Reply: Question about springer forks.