General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop Sues Midvale After Police Car Hits His Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Cop Sues Midvale After Police Car Hits His Motorcycle

UHP reported that Weiss had the green light, but that Richardson stopped at his red light and looked in both directions before moving forward and colliding with Weiss.

That make it sounds like the LEO did the right thing.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to stay out of this one. I have been involved in enough of these cop threads lately.
I am POSITIVE if I gave my opinion on this, certain people would be sent over the edge
However i will watch
[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, come INDY....the only reason you are staying out of it, is there are TWO Cops involved, and you are confused over which one to blame.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 PM
roadglidedude
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked as both a firefighter and a Paramedic as both we were required to take courses in EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operators Course)in it we learned that this requires the operator to exercise "due regard"
They are required to slow down/stop @ intersections and only proceed when they can safely cross the intersection
As soon as you enter the intersection you are assuming theriskof other peoples safety in that intersection
One of my instructors told me something that I always remembered "if you run a light and are involved in an accident it will be your fault"
I can't imagine any court that would not find for the motorcyclist in this case.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a new reality show.... Cop's against Cop's!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
DLeppik
Advanced

I can see a law suit if the off duty cop got seriously hurt and its only recourse. Butlights and siren! When I hear em I get out of the way just fine.There may be other factors to bring to the for front..Pursuit and code 3 policy's have change since I retired. They are much more stick now....If working today I think I would go code 3 at the speed limit or your *** my be in the wringer.... [/align]

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is Utah a comparative negligence state or a contributory negligence state. That and alot of unknown information all play into whether this is stupid or not.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Buddha4

UHP reported that Weiss had the green light, but that Richardson stopped at his red light and looked in both directions before moving forward and colliding with Weiss.

That make it sounds like the LEO did the right thing.
If this is indeed accurate, then Officer Richardson had to have seen the motorcyclist. I expect the city will settle.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Well, I can see there are many different opinions on this. Some on each side make sense. I'm sure the regulations vary from state to state and maybe within each state given different departments and such. I was taught that an emergency vehicle has the right of way, and you have a responsibility to get out of the way. Those lights and siren are there for a reason and many a person I know has recieved a citation in the mail for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

As far as trains go, if there's an emergency, I was taught that the train must stop as soon as possible, uncouple and let an emergency vehicle through. Otherwise trains have the right of way, period. Not because of their size and the pyhsics involved in stopping, but because the railroad owns the land. That's what I was taught. But consider this. An off duty cop on a bike hears a siren and ignors that?? You can't think of that as anything but poor decision making. Noname

Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

Oh, come INDY....the only reason you are staying out of it, is there are TWO Cops involved, and you are confused over which one to blame.
Make no mistake, I know who to blame

Was the cop on the bike wearing a helmet? Was it full face? 3/4, 1/2?
What kinda bike was it?
[sm=popcorn.gif]

Quick Reply: Cop Sues Midvale After Police Car Hits His Motorcycle