General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT Trans. Secretary Peters Sends Law to Congress on Helmet Use

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default DOT Trans. Secretary Peters Sends Law to Congress on Helmet Use

We have seen numerous threads on Helmet Use and a lot of guessing as to what the Feds are or are not going to do. Here it is direct from the Feds. I am pro choice, but it sure wont stop me from riding if helmet use is mandated. Just like wearing a seatbelt this is going to be pushed down through the states, particularly those that dont have helmet laws currently in place.

DOT 21-08
Thursday, February 14, 2008

U.S. Transportation Secretary Peters Unveils Legislation to Help States Target Motorcycle Helmet Use
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters today sent legislation to Congress seeking greater flexibility for states to target one of the leading causes of motorcycle deaths across the nation – riding without a helmet.
An avid motorcyclist, she credits her helmet and riding gear for saving her life during a 2005 motorcycle crash.
“My helmet prevented me from being a brain injury patient when I crashed my Harley two years ago,” Secretary Peters said. “We know helmets save lives and I want states to be able to join in urging riders to take personal responsibility for their safety by wearing a helmet every time they ride.”
The legislation submitted to Congress would allow states to use federal motorcycle safety funding to promote the use of motorcycle helmets. Currently, states are limited to using the funds for motorcycle safety training and awareness programs only.
Secretary Peters noted that states need additional resources to combat a sharp increase in motorcycle fatalities. In 2006, motorcycle fatalities reached 4,810, an increase of 127 percent since 1997, Secretary said. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that motorcycle helmets not only saved the lives of 1,658 motorcyclists in 2006, but that 752 additional lives could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets, she added.
Calling motorcycles “our nation’s greatest highway safety challenge,” Secretary Peters launched a comprehensive federal initiative to improve motorcycle safety in October 2007. The action plan emphasizes more rider education and training, tougher standards for helmet certification labeling, law enforcement training, and road designs that consider motorcycle dynamics.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:04 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DOT Trans. Secretary Peters Sends Law to Congress on Helmet Use

Your right Dalton, it will happen. I belive inchoice myself.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont let it keep you up at night.i dont think it will.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

"The legislation submitted to Congress would allow states to use federal motorcycle safety funding to promote the use of motorcycle helmets. Currently, states are limited to using the funds for motorcycle safety training and awareness programs only."
"The action plan emphasizes more rider education and training, tougher standards for helmet certification labeling, law enforcement training, and road designs that consider motorcycle dynamics. "

I don't see why anyone would be against better spending of the money the gov is collecting. "currently" they are not arguing for helmet use just awareness of the benefits. They also concede that the infastructure need to better accomadate cycles.