General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annual Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Anothernewguy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annual Maintenance

Assuming an annual milage of 10,000 (or a little less) what would be the suggested maintenance record be, and how much would it cost overall to keep her running right for the year (not including gas)?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Annual Maintenance

My uneducated guess would be something like this

Dealer done 1k,5k, and 10k might run around - $1100-$1500 - Depending on the market area - Some offer pre-pay
I would think someone capable and willing to learn could do it for about 40% of that themselves but that does not include Tools and Manuals and some other stuff I have left out

Just seeing your posts though I kinda feel like you are looking for reasons to buy an HD over a metric and can't help but think you might be better off with a metric. I mean no offence whatsoever it's just that there are so many intangible qualities to riding a Harley and not everyone gets it nor should they - HD's are simply not for everyone as the price does not always make sense when compared to others.

Just curious - How many bikes have you owned and what kind were they?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:53 AM
seeg2005
Advanced

1K service will cost you $350
5K service will cost you $350
10K service will cost you $450

If you are just starting out, you may want to consider a metric bike. The passion of true Harley riders is in their blood. The cost of that passion is not a factor (of course HD knows this). No offense intended here. But I'm thinking a metric might be a good investment at this point. If the HD passion develops, then you can find a dealer selling for MSRP (plenty out there) and begin a new aspect of your life.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2006, 01:57 PM
asylum
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hope I am not hijacking this thread, not sure if this question is answerd on another thread, please direct to proper one
question is what does the 10k service consist on a 04 sporty?
and if I do my own service will I void any warrenty left on the bike?
I bought the sporty used from local stealer and was told the 5 k service has been completed and i still have until July 06 left on warrenty

Leonel

04 sportster 1200c
Screaming Eagle hi-flow a/c
Screaming Eagle SEII

Old 01-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For chryst sake, the guy just asked a simple question!!

If you paid someone that much to do the 1, 5, and 10k service, You should own a metric. The guy can buy whatever he wants.
BTW, there are many metrics that require a lot more skill to ride than a Harley, which requires no skill to ride.

Cliques are for weaklings....

Old 01-22-2006, 02:25 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealership have a pre-paid option for 900 and stated that is a 300 dollars saving.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:10 PM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

as a non-mechanic, I can tell you that most of the service adjustments are pretty easy themselves, until you start needing specialty tools and a 3rd hand. I bought the manual and acquired the tools, bought a simple lift and cleared garage space, and for the cost it's probably cheaper to use the HD Service Dept. But it's like having someone else watch your kids when you're at home and could do it yourself.
I'm not sure how HD runs their warranty program, but other companies, Ford for example, would require that you show receipts for the parts if you did the service yourself in case of warrantied repairs. I beat Subaru before, too, when they tried to charge me for a new transmission because I told them THEY had to prove that I DIDN'T do the maintenance, not the other way around.