General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Humanoid
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?

I have 2 other buddys that ride with me from time to time. One of them I have know for 15 years or so and the other only a couple of years. The one I have known for a couple of years name is John.

They both asked me to ride with them on Friday but I had something to do and declined. I got a call on Monday from my friend who told me John was hit on Friday. Basically an inexperienced driver failed to stop at a stop sign and hit John. John had compund fractures in his leg and was bleeding badly. My other buddy had to take his shirt off to stop the blood. The paramedics saved him and he is in the hospital recovering from many wounds. He easily could have died though. He will be ok but will not walk for 3 months or so. He has many other injuries as well. I am he sure will be affected for life. Both John and my other buddy have pretty much vowed never to ride again.

I love riding and since I started, my life has sort of revolved around getting the chance to go on that next ride. But having this happen so close to me in my life makes me wonder if I am a dumb *** for riding. It makes me wonder if everyone who rides for a period of time ends up getting in an incident like John. Do some of us actually luck out and not get seriously injured over a lifetime?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain
Default RE: How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?

A life time is a long time. Who knows what God has in store for all of us. We can only live day for day and make the best of each day. I known several that have gone down to include myself. It takes everyone time to heal and time to get the nerve up to ride again. It took 2 wives and 25 years before I got back into it. I learned that you never trust the other guy. Even if you have been riding for a long time. You have to be aware of what and who is around you all the time. I was lucky then. I was able to walk away and I know others that have not be so lucky. It is all part of life. Best wishes to you and your friend and hope he recovers soon and able to be 100% again.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having been down due to my own stupidity, all I can say is that I got right back on as soon as I physically could handle the bike. I've known many people that have died due to the carelessness and inattention of cagers and I still ride.

Life is a risky proposition in general and you can't just blame riding. After all, you can cripple yourself walking across a plowed field or get run over by a car at any time.

It's a personal decision, but I prefer to live my life enjoying it rather than worrying about death and/or injury. I take precautions obviously, probably more now that I have a 20 month old son, but I will ride for as long as I enjoy it.

To answer your direct question, I met a guy that has been riding his whole life. He's 72 now, never had an accident and now that his wife is gone all he does is ride around the country visiting his kids and grand-kids. The last time I saw him his Ultra had over 200,000 miles on it.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM
njdiver
Road Captain

First I'm sorry to hear of your buds accident and I'm glad he is recovering. I was hit by a cager last May '07 a 26 year old came over and hit me from one lane to another, of course he said he didn't see me, but I was in a line of over 500 bikes so that doesn't fly. Any how, I broke 7 bones, I have a plate in my right wrist because the bones were so badly smashed. I spent a week in the trauma center, my ride, '06 Heritage Classic was totaled and I couldn't do any thing for 3 months. a Week after I got out of the hospital I went to pick out a new ride, I bought a '07 Street Glide and I love it. As soon as my wrist healed I was back on the road, if I didn't then I would have never ridden again.

My point to you is, I love riding and have been doing it since 1969 when I got my first bike, I was not going to let some punk kid destroy my life and stop me from doing what I Love, so if you like to ride then ride, just remember that cagers don't SEE you and don't give a s*** if they hit you, so ride defensively and ENJOY!!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant even imagine giving up ridin.Ive been down and may again someday but im not going to be so afraid of being hurt that I quit doing the things I love.It sucks when a brother is hurt or killed-ride long enough and it will happen

Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry fo your buddy. I know when I hospital just hearing the biker coming up to see me. Help me get well. I loss 95% of my skin on the road.I was riding a couple weeks after getting out of bed.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Softail Sam
Tourer

Sorry to hear about your buddy. Life is full of risks and none of us gets out alive.
Take all the precautions that you can and try tolive life to the fullest. When your number is called it doesn't matter if your in a cage, a plane or a bike.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

My brother in law went down 3 years ago this Mothers day and was badly injured.They weren't sure his foot could be saved,but thankfully it was.He is still recovering and is doing well but I miss riding with him.I keep hoping he'll surprise me one day by getting another bike.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll let you know when my leg/ankle has repaired and the bike is back together. Have lost 3 buds over the last 40 yrs. I don't seem to react by questioning my riding. My accident has raised some questions but don't think it will keep me off the bike. As with anyone, my desire to ride is very personal in nature.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been riding for over 40 years and have never been down. It's all karma. If it worries you that much though, maybe you shouldn't be riding. That, or always remember to never get too relaxed and watch out for the idiots.

Quick Reply: How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?