General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?

Fear is somthing that we all are resigned to deal with at one time or another. It's healthy to have fear, especially on the type of vehicle we ride. Fear on these beasts teaches you to respect. Sadly cagers don't know the fear we have learned from and can't fathom what their actions may create for others. If you enjoy riding then continue. You'll probably be fearful at first and it may fade after time. Sometimes it doesn't. You have to decide for yourself if your fear is healthy or not. As for your buddies, especially the one hurt, I don't blame them a bit for feeling the way they do but, don't feel that you are disrespecting them because you choose to continue riding.
"The only thing we have to fear is...." ~Roosevelt

Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to here about your buddy. The last year I've had two friends go down with full recovery thankfully. Each time my first thought was I quit, a couple of hours later I'm over it. I pray that we all will come to a time in our lives when we will know when to stop on our terms.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:27 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been down by cagers 3 times in the 1970's. Twice tipped off sitting still by a car passing on my right. Low speed no serious injuries and light damage (both hit-skip). The third time was head on at 30+30mph clip with a Ford station wagon. I saw him and he didn't see me. It was over in 3 seconds but my mind went into slow motion and it seemed like 10 minutes. I highsided over his car and landed on my Bell helmet which fractured and saved mylife and slid about 100 feet down the street. I sustained 3 broken fingers on my left hand 2 broken ribs on my left side, broke 2 verts in my neck, sustained a serious concussionand had serious road rash on my hands & knees (I was wearing a heavy leather jacket, heavy jeans and MC boots). My bike was totalled andwhen I got a brand new one form his insurance payoff.....Isold it. I didn't consider riding for almost 30 years. Four years ago I went tomy daughters school auction and there was a black sportster sitting there so...I bid on it and won it. Rode it for a year to see if I could ride again and found I never should have quit riding in the first place. Now I have my FXD and will never be without a motorcycle in my garage again.

My point is this: I truly believe that God has a purpose for all of us. Everyone of us. When his purpose is fulfilled then it is our time. Idon't think my motorcycle will be what ends my life. I do believe it has changed it. But I no longer fear death or injury as I once did. Aftersome of the things I have been through...there is no way I am just lucky. I thank God for being able to see the Sun shine one more day every day.Take your time before you decide. You may change your mind like I did. Sorry tohear about your friends injury...I hope he mends well and quickly...I will send a prayer for him.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:32 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: FUUTOO

Ever notice how every So Called Harley rider has "WENT DOWN". If this were so, the news papers would be full of accidents. Your nothing but a bunch of mid life crisis burn outs trying to be cool again. Give it up and either get a real bike or shut up lying about wrecks you didn't have.
Dude: Get professional help.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Glad to hear your bud is doing better.
I think about "what if" when Im not riding. Once I fire it up, it all goes away. I am back up after a 22 year hiatus and I cant believe that I didnt ride for that long. I now find my self riding very defensively. I ride like every cage is coming right for me.
You cant ride scared.
MikeM

Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Ten zillion plus on what iceman said.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 PM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your friends fall. I ride motorcycles, fly airplanes, occasionally participate in a demolition derby. A few years ago I broke my leg in 3 places tripping over a vacuum cleaner hose that I was trying to step over. You just never know what will happen.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
powaypete
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lost my riding partner of 30+ years due to a cell phone in the hands of a 17 year old driver. He died in my arms. That was in April, I gave up riding for the summer until November. Really didn't know what I wanted to do. Finally just got back on it, rode for a month, bought the Heritage, sold the pan and have not looked back. No more drum brakes and spools for me, gotta have disc's from now on.