General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?

I have seen one arm riders. And I have seen no leg riders. But if you don't want to ride. stop!

The ride for this bike has a walker

This rider has no legs

guild
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had a few friends fall and had three good friends die on motorcycles... It was alongtime ago, But i will never forget them. We all deal with these things differantly... My first time back on the bike was differant.. It was on my mind i was a bit scared and thats not a good way for me to ride. What i needed
was time, Time to deal with what happened but i kept rideing
and the fear went away, i am still rideing.. Today i ride alot more safely than i did in my youth. Good luck and hope your friend is up and around soon.

chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your buddy.

Bike ridersstep closer to at least and right to the edge and past at worst.

I've been down a few times,been with those that have gone down as well.

But for methe worst feeling I've had with a bike mishap is when My wife and I were riding two up and as I approached a yellow to red light and just as my feet touched the ground I heard a screeching. You know the sound, it's the one that grabs you attention no matter what your doing. Anyway, This timethat screech was coming my way, Than, Slam, bang, crash and then I heard my wife scream. That was the start of the clock standing still as I moved her out of traffic to the side of the road. Than I got my bike out of the road. Meanwhile, I had completely forgotten to realize that I was in pain.It seemed like hours before the meat wagon got to the scene. I was left there with the cops as my wife went to a hospital that I didn't even know where it was becausewe were some 12 to 1500 miles away from home. When the cops were finally done with paper work, I banged my bike parts around and strapped on or duct typed the rest and headed for the hospital, that is aftera cop finally radioed in and asked where they had brought my wife.

wouldn't wish it on anybody

chappy

Old 02-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Humanoid
Cruiser

Thanks for you guys insight. It is really helpful. I really want to keep riding and probubly will but I will no longer be in a dream world. I rode with the "it will never happen to me" attitude. When someone talked about an accident I automatically assumbed the rider could have done something to avoid it. Kind of my way to settle it in my mind. The truth is you could get taken out at any time with no fault of your own. I just have to accept the risk, get over it and take life one day at a time.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:57 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have rode on and off over the years and had some very close calls. Its a crap shoot but so is life. My dad hated it when i bought my first street bike when i was 18 even though he has had harleys all his life. Then i got out for a while and bought a new bike last year alreay put 10k on it and he hated it but also loves me riding with him. We lost my sister when i was 18 and i have 4 kids now so dad couldn't stand to loose me or see my wife and kids loose me.

Like i told dad, When the good Lord says its your time its not going to matter if your on a bike, a car or a truck or on the sidewalk. Hes going to take you. So you better enjoy life and have fun because you don't know when that day will come.

That being said i am and try to be very cautious and aware of my surroundings when riding and i have still had some close calls so remember to be careful and watch for anything but dont psych yourself out so bad that it takes away for the enjoyment of the riding.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got hit by a car and I rode ASAP and my fiance had a broken collarbone. The way I look at it is I could just as easily have been in my car. Also I rolled a car and I still drive. Along with that it wasn't my fault so it shouldn't faze me from riding.
When the insurance guy came to make a settlement with me and check out my bike he asked my dad if he would still ride and my dad told the guy he had been around enough to see worse crashes and it isn't going to faze him. A week after my crash my parents went on a trip to Michigans upper peninsula.
My uncle hit a dear when he was like 20 and he swore he would never ride again but when he got out of the hospital he went and got his bike fixed...ironic thing is the helmet he was wearing was really beat up but that is when he started to wear it only when he had to.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
steelhorse 1971
Tourer

A teenage kid went out in his front yard the other day and was killed when a drunk jumped the ditch and hit him.It can happen anywhere.Just live your life.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. I had a friend killed in Sierra Vista about 10 years ago.

One persons experience doesn't factor in to another persons experience. I started riding 65 years ago and have never been involved in a street accident. Done a few stupid drops in my lifetime and tried to kill myself in the dirt back in the 60's but no collisions. People get killed in cars too. As far as that goes, some people have died in their bath tubs.

A person does what they have to do.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
sldavis
Road Captain

Ride extra defensively, and dress for the fall, not the ride.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

I think people that ride motorcycles, fly planes, do motocross, etc, have that spirit in them that says I don't want to just be...I want to be IN it. Most people just do their job, go home, take care of business and never ride a bike, or fly a plane. Those that do, are going to be at risk more than others. We know that, we accept that, and we can't give it up no matter what.

We've(including myself, 2 girlfriends dead, several friends down over the years), all pretty much experienced either a friend, loved one, or ourselves going down. Each time I have experienced this, I hate my bike and I don't want to ride for a while. But that feeling comes back and I get on the bike and I scream.....DOROTHY...this one is for you.And I'm off again.

We can only be as careful as we possibly can and deal with what comes our way as we can.

I'm very sorry for your friend and hope that he recovers quickly, and if you need time to stay off the bike, do that, you will be back on. And you will be more cautious for it. Which is a good thing!

Quick Reply: How do you handle it when one of your buddies goes down?