General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can somebody explain these prices to me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006 | 08:23 PM
Anothernewguy
|
Intermediate
Default Can somebody explain these prices to me?

Are we actually expected to pay retail for a new bike, or is this like buying a car at the dealership (complete with haggling)? What should/does one expect to pay for a bike priced @ $12-13k? $15-16k?

How in the world can people/dealerships justify asking for comparable prices to a new bike for their used bikes?

I understand limited/anniversary editions, factory custom paint, and unusual workmanship for SOME bikes, but barring some of these special interest machines, why in the world would anybody spend $15,000 on a 2001 "garden vareity" Lowrider with 28,000 miles when it has a few add-ons readily available at most dealerships, that come out of a box? Wouldn't buyers be better served spending the same on a brand new bike, putting on their own choice of add ons, and enjoying the 28k miles theirselves?

I truly don't intend to ruffle any feathers here, I am just trying to make heads or tails of something that defies any sort of logic.

Old 01-21-2006 | 08:25 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Default RE: Can somebody explain these prices to me?

If you cant get the bike for MSRP go elsewhere!

Old 01-21-2006 | 08:27 PM
rvisdew
Road Master

Seems like you're getting a "deal" if you can get it for MSRP.

Seems like I've heard of some dealers throwing in some extra goodies ... certainly, don't pay more than MSRP.

Old 01-21-2006 | 08:28 PM
Anothernewguy
|
Intermediate

I was wondering if we should even have to pay MSRP? Cars, guns, musical instruments, you name it all have MSRPs, and NOBODY pays that much. Are HDs the unfortunate exception?

Old 01-21-2006 | 08:44 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain

For the most part, yes. They have become so popular, some dealers are selling bikes over MSRP and getting it. So, if you can get it at or below MSRP then you are doing well. Regarding high used bike prices, it's because the bikes hold their value and therefore have high resale values. It may not be right or what you are used to but it is the way it is.....

Old 01-21-2006 | 08:51 PM
FBoy06
Cruiser

The stealership in my area is asking 5 to 6 thousand over MSRP.

Old 01-21-2006 | 09:05 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior

Two words....

Supply and demand. If the bike is in short supply and the dealer only has so many of them allotted during the year, they will hold out for list or more. If there are lots of them....discounting will prevail. Shop around but expect your dealer to make a profit, they are entitled. As far as buying used vs. new....depends. If you find a private owner who "has" to sell vs a dealer who you have no idea how much he really paid for that used bike...in many cases the dealer will make more on a used vs new. I'd probably go new myself and build it out just for me. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2006 | 09:38 PM
Anothernewguy
|
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: FBoy06

The stealership in my area is asking 5 to 6 thousand over MSRP.
[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 01-21-2006 | 10:03 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Anothernewguy

Are we actually expected to pay retail for a new bike, or is this like buying a car at the dealership (complete with haggling)? What should/does one expect to pay for a bike priced @ $12-13k? $15-16k?

How in the world can people/dealerships justify asking for comparable prices to a new bike for their used bikes?

I understand limited/anniversary editions, factory custom paint, and unusual workmanship for SOME bikes, but barring some of these special interest machines, why in the world would anybody spend $15,000 on a 2001 "garden vareity" Lowrider with 28,000 miles when it has a few add-ons readily available at most dealerships, that come out of a box? Wouldn't buyers be better served spending the same on a brand new bike, putting on their own choice of add ons, and enjoying the 28k miles theirselves?

I truly don't intend to ruffle any feathers here, I am just trying to make heads or tails of something that defies any sort of logic.

The short answer is "supply and demand." To get a better idea, stop in your friendly Pontiac dealer and get a quote for a new Soltice. Then haggle them down, if you can. They want over msrp. I tried, and if I wanted it bad enough, I'd have to pay. I didn't, and the next day I went by it was gone. jmo

Old 01-21-2006 | 10:07 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

Its called "Law of Supply and Demand", if you don't pay they cost some joker behind you in line will. I don't agree with it but we all do it. Look at E-Bay and the prices there that people will willingly pay excesive price just to beat someone else out. Byer beware is so true but I have adaptoed a new sence called Seller Look out. I will get the things I want at the price I want sometimes just takes a lil longer. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Can somebody explain these prices to me?