General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can somebody explain these prices to me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006 | 10:16 PM
route2null0
Road Master
Default RE: Can somebody explain these prices to me?

Get a metric and you won't have to worry about spending that much [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 01-21-2006 | 10:47 PM
jd_underdog
Road Captain

all good advice, i found a deal on my used rkc, it was a friend of a friends, and he needed the money, the owner had spent a ton of money on mods, including lowering the bike front and back, and installing a big bore kit, not to mention a ton of chrome, (allof wich i liked) i added up all of the things that he did to the bike including what he bought it for. i bought that bike for less than half of what he had in it. and the bike was a 2000 and had less than 7,000 miles on it. i think that there are good deals on used bikes but you just need to look and wait for one. of course that is just my 02 worth

Old 01-22-2006 | 12:29 AM
itsahog
Cruiser

They might ask for and even get more then MSRP, but NEVER from me. Free country and they cn ask what they want, But I will never pay more then MSRP.

Old 01-22-2006 | 01:34 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

Wow it seems to me your getting Jacked around! I see New Bikes on E-Bay for MSRP or less But! 5 plus over?.....Fuc* em.......NO WAY

Old 01-22-2006 | 02:18 AM
vegashd
Banned

like others say. It all depends on how much you want to spend. ANd how bad you want it. Try getting a GT40 last year. Twice retail. And a waiting list at those prices.

Old 01-22-2006 | 02:49 AM
Screamer
Road Captain

The dealer near me also wanted $5K over, So I told him to blow me and got the bike at the dealer that was 29 miles away. MSRP.

Old 01-22-2006 | 02:52 AM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

It's simple economics: Harley controls production numbers, which I'm guessing are based JUST BELOW what the previous year's demand was. Everyone else releases numbers of each model sold, to date, except HD. It's a one-supplier business, and they have NO competition.

I ain't bitchin', cuz you can resell it 10 years later for much more than anyone else.

Old 01-22-2006 | 08:38 AM
claydbal
Cruiser

remember all those who paid 5-6 grand over msrp and waited months for their new pt cruiser? lmao and the found out it was only a neon. build it and they will come------how true.
ORIGINAL: vegashd

like others say. It all depends on how much you want to spend. ANd how bad you want it. Try getting a GT40 last year. Twice retail. And a waiting list at those prices.

Old 01-22-2006 | 10:39 AM
taurusjim
Cruiser

Hey, "anothernewguy", It sounds to me that you really don't like Harley much. This is one of the best times in recent history to buy a Harley at a good price, some people paid 1000's over list just a few years ago"....If you go to a metric dealer, they might sell you less than list, but their dealer add ons are worse than Harley, freight, setup, dealer what the hell fee, etc. If you can get the bike for msrp. no dealer add ons. you are doing great. If its still too much money , buy metric.....

Old 01-22-2006 | 11:08 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I was wondering if we should even have to pay MSRP? Cars, guns, musical instruments, you name it all have MSRPs, and NOBODY pays that much. Are HDs the unfortunate exception?

You can get educated pretty fast - I thought the same thing until I started my Harley education - Supply and demand is a huge part of it plus dealer allocations. I see you live in the state of LA. I know if you look around you can get a bike you love at MSRP - If you look a bit harder you can get MSRP and some cool stuff thrown in but that about the most you can expect - I know when I bought my first Harley I told the guy "No way am I ever going to pay full list to anyone" He said - "Oh yeah I almost forgot" - "Today we are giving out free hugs. Ya want one????" Aftet that I started really pricing around - The deal are out there - Ya just gotta look! Don't foget to factor in who will be doing your service, your warranty service (If aplicable) and the price of insurance, DMV fee's etc.... In my case I found the dealer to be fair but your mileage may vary!- Good luck and rememeber - It's only money

Quick Reply: Can somebody explain these prices to me?