General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Question????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: GPS Question????

ORIGINAL: roadglidepa

Here are some basic differences.

Sir,
You are correct.
Garmin has added a 2 GB SD card to free up the main memory thus faster speeds.
Zumo handles up to a8 GB card.

Conquest has no MP3 player.
Zumo will handle up to 1,000 songs. Never listen to a commercial again.

Conquest 12 languages. Zumo 20 (delete the languages you don't speak to free up memory) you can download them free from update site if you ever need them.

Conquest $850 +mount. Zumo 450 $500 w/mount. JMO I'll keep the difference.

Be sure to visit Zumo forum for lots of good information on POI's, and MapSource.
Check out POI Factory for many free POI's.
http://www.zumoforums.com
http://www.poi-factory.com/

Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 PM
azhole
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the zumo 550 and jump it between my work van and the ultra. I don't really use it for pleasure riding, basically for finding customers when I'm working. I like the fact that I can find a store or fuel or intersection, or be alerted to a spot that is programmed in that is coming up, and is vibration resistant and waterproof, and that I can zoom out for big picture map, or in and it will tell me what streets I'm passing, not verbally, and I can bluetooth with it if I like, and one of the big features, I don't have to pull my phone out to see if it's someones number that I want to answer or not, I just look at the zumo screen to see what the incoming phone number is.
I dropped a phone at 70 mph, and at least I found the SIM card so some of my phone numbers were still intact. I figure the savings on a new phone, and not getting zapped with photo radar, programmed in, and the anger from BS callers not affecting me are worthy attributes to pay for. They save me money and anger so I'm happy.
I'd be happy if I could program in forest service topo maps for use in the 4 wheeler.
I would rather mount it other than on the bars so it doesn't add to the weight that affects the self centering, and
it does draw more power than I figured as my voltage drops much more with it and my heated gear on than it does with just the heated gear on. It's noticable.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zumo 550 is the way to go.
I have my bike hardwired, my car hardwired and my truck will soon be hardwired.
go the the zumo site, you have to see it for your self.
Then there's no turning back.

chappy

Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I am with you.

The Zumo models offer way too many advantages over the Quest models. I can't understand why HD would go to Garmin and ask for an upgrade and custom mount for a model that is not designed well for bikes. If they had to redesign it to accept the SD card, why didn't they think to alsoswitch the key pad to the left of the screen? Since your right hand has to hold the throttle you obviously will be using your left hand to operate the GPS, thus making it necessary to reach across in front of the screen. Even in their website they show the GPS mounted on the upper right of the dashboard which would require you to reach clear to the other side of the bike.

You'd think they would have opted for a custom mount for the Zumo series as they have become the new standard.

As for the weight on the handlebars affecting self centering, I haven't felt any difference. After all the unit only weighs 10.6 Oz and the bike isn't balanced to begin with. You can mount the Zumo on the face of the dashboard by using the RAM base #RAM-B-238 and a 1-3/4" short arm # RAM-B-201A. You'd have to drill two holes in the inner fairing for the bolts.

I've traveled with both me and my wife wearing full Gerbing gear and also didn't notice any change in battery charge rate, that could be because I'm running a 2006 Ultra which has a higher output charging system than your '99.

You're also right on the Topo maps. I tried to use mine on a hunting trip to record my two mile walk to a tree stand at the top of a mountain. It recorded the track but when downloaded to Mapsource the route shown did some strange things like showing that I'd gone to an intersection a mile down the road from where I parked the truck and started walking. When I attempted to place waypoints on the good part of the off road tract to make a corrected version, Mapsource would immediately draw a straight line to the road.

ZUMO= More bang for your buck.