General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slowest speed w/out stall?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Idiot
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default slowest speed w/out stall?

what is the slowest speed you can maintain w/out stalling the bike? (Clutch out)
How do these parade bikes do it? I assume they have to ride the clutch quite a bit to go that slow

Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: slowest speed w/out stall?

Ride Like A Pro DVD.. Lot's of Practice and you can ride about the speed of a Walk...

Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Idiot
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fla Glide

Ride Like A Pro DVD.. Lot's of Practice and you can ride about the speed of a Walk...
Great DVD but his slow speed exercises are usually done in the friction zone. Trying to figure out what others bikes can do in parking lots

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

I could put you in contact with the world record holder for the slow race Rex Webb

Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in a few parades, and when it's a hot day, My twin cam gets some hot. Me too come to think of it. The Evo does better, but both are stroked so they tend to run a bit hot at slower speeds. I have to admid, I'm notone that could brag at my slow (walking pace) speed riding. My left hand gets mighty tired after the first 15 or 20 minutes. About that time I'm looking around and wondering why I got myself into this mess in the first place. But soon I remember why and looking back on it I'm glad I did. It was for the right reasons.
Always support the Troops
God bless Our Warriors
POW / MIA Never Forget

chappy

ORIGINAL: Idiot

what is the slowest speed you can maintain w/out stalling the bike? (Clutch out)
How do these parade bikes do it? I assume they have to ride the clutch quite a bit to go that slow

Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

Just like in my truck, I can idle through the gears. But if you have to take off quick, down shift at least one or two beforetaking off hard.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have won numerous slow races with the chopper (one of the few bennies of being an ol' geezr). Plus we do many parades with the ol' boy, Colors, Vet Runs, PGR, etc. I can tweek the idle circuit on the Bendix so the motor will just "lope". I hate doing it as that can cause the flywheels to shift, but makes for some "nice" antics in a parade. If you like doing it, as was mentioned already, watch the "HEAT" issue. No air, no cooling. As Donny said, "practice, practice, practice" I stay in fairly decent shape, but come March, I sit with a tennis ball while watching tv, gets theclutch hand and fingermuscles ready for the season. (Duh, yes, you have to actually "squeeze" it, not just sit and watch tv ) Plus only having a rear brake takes a li'l balance in a pararde.