General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Advice? How long until I'm past the "almost drops"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some Advice? How long until I'm past the "almost drops"?

I could use a little advice or words of wisdom.

I have been riding a little over 2 years. I ride every chance I get - usually several times a week, if not some every day. I love it and I'm pretty relaxed while I'm riding. However, around once a week or so, I'll just do something that almost causes me to drop the bike. I'll stop not quite right, or I'll back out a little wrong or lean the bike a bit and I'll feel the bike start to go. It's always during a very slow maneuver - a stop at a strange angle, walking turn, etc. I've not dropped it yet (outside of my driveway... once), but there have been a few times it was really close. In fact, I'm amazed at how solid the front brake handle is - I've grabbed it a few times to keep the bike from going over. Every time this happens, I know exactly what I did wrong and I work not to repeat it. It pisses me off when I mess up.

How long did it take you to get past the "almost drop" experience? Do you ever get past it?

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Some Advice? How long until I'm past the "almost drops"?

I just must be lucky. I've been riding for over 20 years. I've never dropped a bike, except for the two weeks I went to the MoCo's Motor School. Those two weeks, I made up for lost time. I guesstimate I dropped my assigned Road King about 100 times.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM
marthared
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm... tough question to answer, in that it's probably very rider-specific. My experience... I started riding in dirt about 5 years ago, bought a 250 Yamaha duel purpose for about 3 months, then a Honda 750 for about 6 months, then a Harley Heritage that I had for about 4 years, and now I've had my Road King for about 3 months. I dropped the Honda a couple of times, never dropped my Heritage (over 56,000 miles), and haven't dropped my FLHR (nor have I "almost" dropped it. I haven't really been through what you're experiencing. I'm tempted to say maybe you're not paying good attention when moving it around, or stopping too fast, etc.... Bike's probably not too big for you, as I'm female, 5'7, and don't have any problems.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
prc1333
Tourer

I've been riding over 20 years as well. Give yourself time. Take the riders edge advanced class, if you haven't. Maybe the bike has to be lowered? Have "riders edge" watch you ride.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using your front brake during these very slow manuevers?? If so, that's you problem.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

Never, two kinds of riders, those that have dropped and those who are going too.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm wondering the same thing someone else mentioned. And please don't take it as a smartass or critisizing comment. Are you paying extra attention during slow speed manuevers and when walking the bike in and out parked spaces? I'm by no means an expert rider myself, but I find that I really need to be focused on the task during slow speeds. And to make sure I keep my head UP and looking at where I'm going and not down at the front wheel. The MSF course I took really helped me overcome the latter. Could be what's happenning to you also.[&:]

Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
coyoties
Cruiser

I'm having the same problem!
I have not done any damage except scratch up the bottom of my left floorboard on my 07 Heritage, but I have dropped it twice this year. Both times was on amoderate uphill slope stopped at light, trying to make a left turn. I find myself trying to push so hard on the foot brake, thatI'm causing the bike to tip toward the right, then I grab front brake put right foot down, and over compensate and push off to hard with my right foot and drop the bike on the left side. Second time was a wet road and I used the when in doubt gas it theory and the back tire slid out to the right, and down it went.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It took me two weeks, then again...I didn't buy the biggest bike I could find either.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: coyoties

I'm having the same problem!
I have not done any damage except scratch up the bottom of my left floorboard on my 07 Heritage, but I have dropped it twice this year. Both times was on amoderate uphill slope stopped at light, trying to make a left turn. I find myself trying to push so hard on the foot brake, thatI'm causing the bike to tip toward the right, then I grab front brake put right foot down, and over compensate and push off to hard with my right foot and drop the bike on the left side. Second time was a wet road and I used the when in doubt gas it theory and the back tire slid out to the right, and down it went.
Why are you using your brakes in a turn?

Quick Reply: Some Advice? How long until I'm past the "almost drops"?