General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Drive Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Drive Belt

Don’t know about you but for me a broken drive belt on a trip is not pleasant. [:@]Yes, I do inspect before any trip.
Do you think HD is looking at an enclosed drive shaft in their upcoming models?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Broken Drive Belt

Properly adjusted, they are supposed to be good for 80,000 - 100,000 miles. I doubt a drive shaft and all the associated parts would fair any better.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had bikes with both,,, personally I like the belt better,,, looks better,, less weight and doesn't rob as much horsepower, also you can change the final drive ratio if you want to.

One thing to watch out for is if you have to ride much on any gravel roads,,, those little gravels can get embed in the belt and cause a problem,,, but for the most part the final drive belts are very reliable.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: John TN

I've had bikes with both,,, personally I like the belt better,,, looks better,, less weight and doesn't rob as much horsepower, also you can change the final drive ratio if you want to.

One thing to watch out for is if you have to ride much on any gravel roads,,, those little gravels can get embed in the belt and cause a problem,,, but for the most part the final drive belts are very reliable.
You make a very good point and I have a half mile of dirt road to travel. Also like the ability to change ratio. However, I moved here from another state (never on a dirt road) have 50k miles on and have went through two factory installed belts. Just was wondering if HD was moving towards a shaft. But then they would lose money as them belts are $$$

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Belts are for pants [&:]

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you find any gravel embedded in the two belts you broke, also I'm not sure if your belts are Kevlar or not, Kevlar is much tougher

My drive way is gravel, but not a 1/2 mile long,, I go real slow for the belt and also to help keep the gravel from dinging the front fender,, I've seen several bagger type front fenders dented from underneath from a gravel being slung up against it from the front tire.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:36 PM
06train
Road Warrior

Saw a dude break 1 doin a burn out just befor the rev limiter made r sputter...Bout pissed myself ....Laughing???

Old 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-09-2008, 04:40 PM
quikbike
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 06train

Saw a dude break 1 doin a burn out just befor the rev limiter made r sputter...Bout pissed myself ....Laughing???
would that have been daytona last year.......Iron Horse maybe?

Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: John TN

Did you find any gravel embedded in the two belts you broke, also I'm not sure if your belts are Kevlar or not, Kevlar is much tougher

My drive way is gravel, but not a 1/2 mile long,, I go real slow for the belt and also to help keep the gravel from dinging the front fender,, I've seen several bagger type front fenders dented from underneath from a gravel being slung up against it from the front tire.
I go darn slow until I hit asphalt where by brother is usually waiting on his Honda. Keeps saying they need to put drive shafts on them things. He’s one of those guys that says Harley riders don’t wave because their afraid they’ll drop their tools. I don’t say much, I think he can still take me.

I think this ones a Kevlar belt, never got the chance to check out the old ones, their road graters now.

Oh, quite little guy you got there.

Quick Reply: Broken Drive Belt