General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Drive Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Catfish57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Broken Drive Belt

Drive shaft on a Harley!!! OMG Sacrilege!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:03 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah he's got a B-day coming up third of next month,,, he's got a year older brother Trevin and a little sister Hannalyn Joy,, due to arrive around the first of March,,, we can't wait, now if they were just 2000 miles closer. []

Good luck with this current belt,,, heck you could fix up a little brush system of some kind to use on the belt when you head in and out that road!!! Well,, best fix is pavement,,, I want to concrete or pave mine one of these days!!!

Tell your brother if he really liked that Honda he should at least ride it up to your house,,, or is he scared to get it dirty!!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
03ultra100th
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live 3/4 mile down a gravel road. A few years ago discovered a stone stuck in the middle of the belt. Had it changed for peace of mind. Book said if it was in the middle it might be OK, but to change the belt if near the edge. Didn't want to have a break down far from home. Pretty expensive to change at home, can imagine how expensive on the road, with a tow and all and maybe far from a dealer.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the common denominator hereis the gravel road. Shaft drive ain't for me. I want to feel the front of the bike come up when I twist the throttle, not the rear.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

oh man...a broken drivebelt, on a stock motored harley.....welp, if that happened you'd be on the outs eh....and it could ya know.....why just last week a hunk of sky damn near took me out

Old 02-09-2008, 05:47 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I asked about how long the belt would last when I bought my bike. The dude said I would never wear it out.
Thinking back, he was bein a smart a$$.
I WILL wear the thing out.
MikeM
BTW the belt beats a chain hands down.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:13 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yer rightabout the bike lifting when you get on it,I had a shaft drive and every time Id get on it hard it feltlike it wanted to jump right up off the road like a great big dam cricket.
ORIGINAL: Time2ride

I think the common denominator hereis the gravel road. Shaft drive ain't for me. I want to feel the front of the bike come up when I twist the throttle, not the rear.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: Amodump001

Don’t know about you but for me a broken drive belt on a trip is not pleasant. [:@]Yes, I do inspect before any trip.
Do you think HD is looking at an enclosed drive shaft in their upcoming models?
I hope there is never another HD with a drive shaft. The XA was butt-ugly!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Amodump001

He’s one of those guys that says Harley riders don’t wave because their afraid they’ll drop their tools. I don’t say much, I think he can still take me.

Ask him what he will do when a piece of gravel punches a hole in his radiator...... FWIW my daughters Honda CRV has 3 holes in the windshield from gravel hits. They should probably put a steel windshield on there. much safer

Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shaft drives can break too. Last Iron butt rally a bunch of BMW's lost them. I have a buddy whostripped a shaft drive on his Honda on a trip to the mountains. Had to rent a truck to get it home.

I would rather deal with a broken belt or chain on a trip than a shaft. Any shade tree mechanic can get you up and running --not so with a shaft.

Quick Reply: Broken Drive Belt