General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble installing my SERT

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:27 AM
dispatchokirt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Having trouble installing my SERT

I also heard something about the adapter - need a differnt one from radio shack - sorry all I remeber as iam not real up to date on this computer suff. But changing the adapter worked .

Old 02-10-2008, 05:39 PM
TonyConn
6th Gear

Thanks for the ideas. Prior to the initial instillation I did have to purchase a new cable from Radio Shack that allowed me to plug into a USB port as the tuner cables I purchased form HD only plug into serial port (does anyone use these anymore?). I confirmed from my local dealer the cables are correct and asked about the new cable I purchased from Radio Shack. They stated they also use the same USB cable and the other cable part number was correct. I was trying to program my tuner from my laptop that does have Vista. I borrowed my Sons laptop that is running XP and installed the tuner program. Same issue occurred; at 20% the program stops and states the ECM has denied access for the update. I have been in constant communication with the dealer (they are getting tired of me I know). They say they use a laptop with the same program I am using to program and have never seen this issue. The warranty guy said because I tried to install the SERT I have already voided my warranty so they will not check the ECM for free. I am in hopes some one can throw my way an out of the box idea as I have tried every thing I can think of. Thanks for any input.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your battery has a FULL charge. If you continue to have problems and find no solution-PM me. I'll try to help.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:59 PM
TonyConn
6th Gear

Definite full charge on the battery. However, to be sure I just went out and checked with a light amp load tester. Full and in good condition.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing a SERT voids your warranty? That's a new one. Ray

Old 02-10-2008, 06:16 PM
TonyConn
6th Gear

One dealership stated if you install a SERT yourself you void you warranty (dealer must install it) while the local dealership by me stated just having it installed voids your warranty regardless of who does it. I called HD tech support about this issue a few days ago. They could not help me any more than what has been covered in these postings but never stated a SERT would void any warranty.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Make SURE the switch on the handlebar is turned to "ON". Not just the ignition, but the handlebar switch itself has to in the "ON" position.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:34 PM
TonyConn
6th Gear

I ensured both the key as well as the switch where on. If you try to install with either on off you will get a ALDL communication failure message. Don’t know what ALDL means, but it is what I got when I tried to install in with only one of the switches/ignition turned on. I tried to load the program first, plug into the bike, turn both switches on in every combination order there is (I think I got them all). None of them worked and I always receive the same error message at 20%....

Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Tony

I'm going to link you to a thread that has some info in it.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1849626/tm.htm

Follow the links in the thread. I'm on my way home from work, but I'll follow this in an attempt to help.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
TonyConn
6th Gear

Exciting news. I dug up an antique laptop from the basement that has a serial port. This thing has a sticker saying Windows 95 but I installed an upgrade to 98 before I retired it many (many) years ago. System requirements for SERT say it will run on 98. I am going to install the program and attempt it now with the serial cable that came from HD. I will let you know soon. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Having trouble installing my SERT