General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shatter resistant Eyewear??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Nightster 13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shatter resistant Eyewear??

Now when I ride on the highway I usually wear my full face helmet, but there are some roads around here that I take that have a speed limit of 55-60 that I would like to wear a DOT open face helmet. When purchasing shatter resistant eyewear, does that mean that if i take a pebble or worse, a nickel size rock to the face, that those will somewhat protect my eye? Any experience, suggestions, complaints? i want to protect my eyes, but dont really want to be wearing goggles.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Shatter resistant Eyewear??

i picked up a pair of glasses last year at sturgis and thus far i really like them
supposedly they are shatterproof,
but can't remember the name
and am not at home

but the glasses have 3 replacable lenses - clear, smoke, yellow for night, day and fog
they pop in and out easily when you want them to but otherwise stay in place really well
the thing i like about them is that they don't have the padding around the rims like other moto glasses do, but air still doesn't blow in your eyes. that really amazed me.

anyway - at the display, they had 2 lenses displayed, one had been shot with buckshot and you could see the indintations but the lense didn't crack, the other had like a nail shot in it. the nail had penetrated the lense but had stopped after going in about 1/2 inch (i know, that would have been your eye anyway, but did show how strong the lenses were). i was told that they were used as safety glasses at a number of places which i later checked on the web and saw articles about them.

i will try to remember to check on the name when i get home and place the name on the forum here.

like i said the glasses are incredable. i have panoptx and really like them also, but given a choice i wouldget this other pair.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:28 AM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear safety glasses. Can get all kinds of tints/shades for under $10.00 at hardware stores/Lowes/etc. They're not polarized, so you can see wet spots on the roads. About as good as eye protection gets.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Nightster 13
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mark10

i picked up a pair of glasses last year at sturgis and thus far i really like them
and am not at home

but the glasses have 3 replacable lenses - clear, smoke, yellow for night, day and fog
they pop in and out easily when you want them to but otherwise stay in place really well
the thing i like about them is that they don't have the padding around the rims like other moto glasses do, but air still doesn't blow in your eyes. that really amazed me.

anyway - at the display, they had 2 lenses displayed, one had been shot with buckshot and you could see the indintations but the lense didn't crack, the other had like a nail shot in it. the nail had penetrated the lense but had stopped after going in about 1/2 inch (i know, that would have been your eye anyway, but did show how strong the lenses were). i was told that they were used as safety glasses at a number of places which i later checked on the web and saw articles about them.

i will try to remember to check on the name when i get home and place the name on the forum here.

like i said the glasses are incredable. i have panoptx and really like them also, but given a choice i wouldget this other pair.

very cool, please post the name, brand or website when u get a chance. I would be curious to see these.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 AM
mark10
Road Master

found the site

http://www.vantage-vision.com/index.asp

Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 AM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Nightster 13

ORIGINAL: mark10

and am not at home

very cool, please post the name, brand or website when u get a chance. I would be curious to see these.
I buy ones similar to these have the yellow / clear / blue / dark green. I get mine at Stokers Ice House in Dallas.

My advise would be to get any kind that have this same padding showin the the link below... blocks the wind and debris pretty good an keeps your eyes from watering..

http://www.motorcycle-accessories-wi...pz-padded.html

I also would advise NOT to get polarized sunglasses for the same reason mentioned.

99%r

Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wear either my Panoptix of Wiley-X glasses when wearing my 1/2 or 3/4 helmet. Good glasses. Interesting that all the times I've been dinged in the face with crap, I've never once had something hit my glasses.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:48 PM
mark10
Road Master

when you say

"My advise would be to get any kind that have this same padding showin the the link below... blocks the wind and debris pretty good an keeps your eyes from watering.. "

this is what i found so really interesting with the vantage - they don't have the padding but there is no problem with wind or debris - it has something to do with their design

i have panoptx also and the vantage almost feel like there is less wind with them - but haven't done any kind of scientific eval

i wear contact lenses which would get dry really fast if wind was bad - and again no problem

but i do want to make some statements about what and how i ride

i ride an 07 ultra - so i have the windshield - i also wear a modular helmet (similar to full face) but i leave the visor up almost all the time
i have ridden a sportster with a windshield also
so the amount of 'wind' and how it is coming at me would obviously not be the same as if no windshield - obviously
but comparing the panoptx and the vantage - the vantage would be my choice

another thing to keep in mind is that not all 'safety' glasses are as safe as one might think. so a pair of glasses just saying 'safety' on the package is not really any kind of endorsement

Old 02-08-2008, 11:53 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For night riding I buy $2 clear safety glasses from Walgreens. They work awesome are clear meet OSHA standards for safety glasses so I assume that includes shatterproof.
I use to wear a pair of wrap around sunglasses from Target that are shatterproof but they were getting too aged. Bought a cheap pair from Poopies in Savannah, IL that work pretty good and are supposed to ge shatter proof as well.
Don't really know the definition of shatter proof to these companies though.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything that is ANSI certified safety glases wont shatter unless its an extream condition. With that said, I wear Oakleys, they are expensive, but I like them and all Oakleys are ANSI safety glasess rated.

Chris

Quick Reply: Shatter resistant Eyewear??