General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the Fire Fox Route 66 system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
GA_firemedic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use the Fire Fox Route 66 system?

I've been looking for an intercom system that I can use for driver-to-passenger communication and bike-to-bike as well. I wear a half helmet and was thinking of using a system with a throat mic. I've got a V&H 2-1 pro-pipe that is LOUD, so I need something to overcome that. I saw an ad for the Fire Fox Route 66 Intercom, but didn't see any feedback on it. Anyone out there used it yet?

Fatty

Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
GA_firemedic
Advanced
Default RE: Anyone use the Fire Fox Route 66 system?

Guessing that is a "no". Well, anyone out there use any of the throat mics with any success?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:48 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not familiar with them but it's an interesting concept. One thing I did notice on their site which isn't the greatest was that if you use them bike to bike the other biker needs a compatible radio. That wouldn't work for me as seems everyone I know uses cbs. But I may have read it wrong.

I'm looking at J&M.Kind of hard to ride with others when you're the only one w/o a cb.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been discussed before. A couple members have recommended the Blueant system.

I have also looked at the firefox system. But I am balancing the intercom and the silence is golden from the passenger. Even she agrees an intercom on the bike might not be the smartest investment for happy biking.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 AM
GA_firemedic
Advanced

I do agree on the silence is golden thing!!!!

I do like to have as many eyes on the road as possible, so it would be nice if the wife could just tell me to look out for something instead of having to tap me on the shoulder and then yell at me two or three times until I understand what she is saying. Plus, GA law will not allow headphones unless it is for communication, so no music. Nothing likewind in your faceand a little PINK FLOYD to take all your troubles away. This system might allow me to kill two birds with one stone.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
marcss
Road Captain

I've been thinking of getting this also. I like using my in-ear shure ear phones. From my research the throat mics are "iffy" at speed on a motorcycle. But I may try this system and use somekind of bandana or something over the mic since it might be the wind causing the problem. The Route 66 is inexpensive compared to the others (J&M, Autocom,etc.) and the only one where you can use your own in-ear earphones or those custom molded ones.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM
rodrigo
Stage IV

Hi GA, I´m a brazilian guy, I live at São Paulo - Brazil, so I don´t speak english very well.
I have a Route 66. The throat mic is good, work very welland you can use any 3,5 mm earphone. Theseare the best features of Route 66.
But the main unit is not good.Some movements in the main unitare capable to cut the sound and when you ride a bike, there are lots of movements. The connectors in the main unit have no good quality.
I wanted to order a Motocomm Riderlink ST-1 but the speaker (on ear type)does not fit in my helmets (Shoei and Shark) and Í will need to cut the helmets to fit them, so I order a Route 66.
Buya Route 66 and if you don´t like the main unit, buy another main unit (like Motocomm (www.rflimited.com), Chaterbox, etc), and use the main unit with the Vanquish throat mic of Route66 (adapters may be neccessary).
Also, the Route 66 does not have a bike-to-bikefeature included and you need buy this accessory at your local dealer or from Firefox Technologies (www.firefoxtechnologies.com)
Like marcss said, throat mics are "iffy" at high speed but you can put a little piece of fabric or sponge just overthe mic to reduce the noise. It´s not necessary to use a bandana.
Look, I´ve been used the Route 66 for about 6 months and this is a good product, not a excellent product.
I hope this help you.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

ORIGINAL: rodrigo

Hi GA, I´m a brazilian guy, I live at São Paulo - Brazil, so I don´t speak english very well.
Rodrigo, welcome to the forum and let me say, your english is better than a lot of the people on this forum that were born in the USA.
[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM
rodrigo
Stage IV

Thank You.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
GA_firemedic
Advanced

Thanks for the info, Rodrigo. Good to know that someone is actually using it. Even better to know that someone will give their honest opinion of it. By the way, your English is just fine. Better than most people who live here, anyway. Be safe and thanks again.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the Fire Fox Route 66 system?