General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on what to to my bike when I take it out of storage in spring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on what to to my bike when I take it out of storage in spring.

I figure I have a month and a half maybe 2, before I can get out riding here in upstate NY.
But I am already thinking about what needs maintenance I need to do.
I have a softail heritage classic, its my first motorcycle and I want to keep it in good shape

Im thinking change all the fluids, plugs, and filters to start. Checking the drive chain/belt and brake/clutch cables and brake pads, tire tread.

I also am wondering if its better to just bring it to the dealership orother harley mechanicand have them look it over? But I know that that will probly cost a few hundred.
As I said I have the service manual and am semi-competent working on my car, so I can probly figure things out

So if anyone can offer any advice on what needs/should be done, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Looking for advice on what to to my bike when I take it out of storage in spring.

You left the fluids in it?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 PM
KSCruiser
Banned
Default RE: Looking for advice on what to to my bike when I take it out of storage in spring.

What did you do to it before putting it in storage?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer

Before I put it in the garage I changed the oil and filled up the gas tank and put fuel stabilizer in it, then ran it 15-20 miles.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

bobbyd, what year heritage do you have?

You have the service manual, might consider the fixmyhog dvd. I've been working on cars for 35 or so years and feel pretty comfortable around them. But when I started tinkering with my Heritage I felt like a teenage boy on his first date.

But I always like that line from the movie The Edge. "What one man can do anothe man can do"
So I plan on doing my own service on my bike. Actually Ihave the money to pay others todo it butI have a hard time trusting the mfers. Too many bad experiences over the years I guess.

If you happen to have alot of money and you trust others to work on your bike then by all mean send it out.But if not, get yourself some tools and get to work.Are you up for it?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

chnage the fluids, including the gas. Charge the battery, check tires and you should be good to go.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:03 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Before you take it out of storage buy a battery tender, if you dont have one get a battery charger harness, plug it up, then connect it to your battery. Your in cold weather up there and batteries hate cold weather. It will keep the battery constantly charged since your computer on the bike is draining it slowly and make the life of your battery longer. Cheap investment for a happy bike. Below is HD links of what to get but others make the same Tender product at a cheaper price if you look for it.

Tender
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

If you dont have the Harness it makes life easier for not much $.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

Im thinking change all the fluids, plugs, and filters to start. Checking the drive chain/belt and brake/clutch cables and brake pads, tire tread.
Fluids is very important. I change mine every 5K with Amsoil Syn oil. I suggest nothing but some type of Syn and not HD Syn 3 (personal preference dont like their product). Really shouldnt store you bike with old fluids inthe motor but I promise it will notblow up cause you did. Nasty oil is just not good for storage with those possible metal shivers in it. The rest sounds like a winner and you should do. Follow the HD manuel on what I didn't cover.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:21 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

I also am wondering if its better to just bring it to the dealership orother harley mechanicand have them look it over? But I know that that will probly cost a few hundred.
If you can figure out how to do all the bike needs I say go for it and good for you sincerely. Far as to the dealership or other mechanic thats questionable. Which of them is the most competent? I have 3 dealers with in driving distance from me and only 1 I trust. The other 2 I wouldnt let themwork on my shoes much less my bike. 1 of them couldnt even tighten my clutch correctly after 2 tries. Neither of them stand by their work. The one I carry my bike to stands behind their work fully. I had a problem with a friends bike and no one could figure out why the problem accured but they charged ever time. The dealer I am with now told me they would tear the bike into pieces and not charge me before they admit they cant fix it like the other dealership did. The other dealership went so far as tell me not to even bring the bike back to them because they could fix it and they wouldnt honor the limon law in NC. There are competent mechanics that own their own shop but you have to learn, ask, and find them. They normally have a ton of work and you will have a wait time which is good. Example one of them near me has more bikes of all brands to work on than any motorcycle dealership I have ever been in with a wait time that isnt the next day. Whom ever you carry the bike to remember your trusting your most prized possession and your life in their hands. They screw up on some crap that could lock up your bike at high speed then your in trouble or they dont competely check vital mantaince parts your in crap. Thats my greatest fear and why I dont give trust to a mechanic. They earn mine.

Theres my 4 cents worth and the other guys on the forumI am sure will add things I didnt talk about.Happy riding to you and yours.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:26 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

ORIGINAL: csbreeze
Fluids is very important. I change mine every 5K with Amsoil Syn oil. I suggest nothing but some type of Syn and not HD Syn 3 (personal preference dont like their product). Really shouldnt store you bike with old fluids inthe motor but I promise it will notblow up cause you did. Nasty oil is just not good for storage with those possible metal shivers in it. The rest sounds like a winner and you should do. Follow the HD manuel on what I didn't cover.
[/quote]

I did change the oil before putting it in the garage, I read somewhere that used oil is very acidic and it isn't good to leave sitting in the engine. But last year I changed the oil every month and other fluids every 2 months or less if it was a stormy day and I was bored. Changed the plugs every 3 as well. Think I might try a K&N air filter, but they cost like 90-100 bucks so Im not sure

Im gonna sit down flip through my service manual again and take a good look at whats involved in doing some of this stuff. I have always planned on doing my own work, been stocking up on tools over the winter. Only thing I wont attempt is taking the actual engine apart (piston removal etc)

I have a repair shop called "Go Slo"semi-near me ever heard of it? In Fort Ann, NY, its only 3-4 miles farther than the dealership anyways so either way its a ways out. But everyone I know who rides gets all their work doneby them and haven't heard anything bad, so I atleast have a place I can bring it where they should be straight with me if needed.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on what to to my bike when I take it out of storage in spring.