General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are Harleys so SLOWWWWWWWWW??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 AM
dbalogh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why are Harleys so SLOWWWWWWWWW??

I saw a guy leaving the Harley shop in Allen, Tx. this past weekend haul *** out of the lot onto the service road and pulled the front tire up off the ground shifting to second, or maybe hell even 3rd. It was an 08SG w/Thunderheader is all I know. But it was the fastest Harley I have seen. My 08UC will do 0-60 in about 5 seconds. Harley's are not slow. Check out the drag strip and see whats out there. Sure they may need to be hopped up but a crotch already is and you can't tour.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 AM
sulkaman
Cruiser

Me personally I don't need the speed. I bought my bike to slow my life down and relax a bit. She's big and beautiful and loves strolls through the countryside. And when I stretch her legs from time to time she feels fine. Damn I can't wait until this snow clears out.

Bless our troops,

Frank

Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

Most of you have said I can't ride, or I don't twist the throttle enough. Trust me this is not the case. I wonder how many of you have ridden some of the metric's in the last 5 years?The reason I bring this up is 2 of my friends have metrics and both are stock and they do haul ***. If they want, I'd be a long ways back in their mirrors rather quickly. Again, I'm not bashing Harley. No I'm not a troll, and no I'm not looking for attention, or to stir the pot. What I'm looking for is a REASON why they aren't a built a bit quicker like the other metrics out there? I don't want them to change how they look, how they ride, how they sound, or anything else for that matter. I would like to see 2 things someday: a liquid cooled engine (as long as you don't lose the Harley sound that is) and I'd like to see more get up and go. Now obviously, Harley must agree with me somewhat as they are now up to the '96 engine which from what I hear is much improved over my '88.
Now thats funny......... whenI get one of those metric commando's wantin to race my Geezer Glide, I always say sure. FIRST ONE TO FLORIDA WINS

Why are you letting a duuude in a minivan with SDS(small dick syndrome), bring down your days ride and actually make you question your Motorcycle????

You got what you paid for, and now if you want more, get out the wallet, because that is the only limit to how fast you can go. You wanna go fast listenin to ringdingdingding, or potatopotatopotato.
Your choice.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 AM
electraride2
Cruiser

torque and horsepower are two different things ........put a crotch rocket motor in a 870 lb HD and try driving that around...it would be like putting my wifes car engine a 4 CYL Hyundai in a Kenworth and try pulling an 80000 lb load across the country........

Old 02-08-2008, 01:02 AM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain

The reason my Harley is so slow is there is a loose nut behind the handlebars.LOL!Regards,Tom

Old 02-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Axholio
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

What I'm looking for is a REASON why they aren't a built a bit quicker like the other metrics out there?
Hmmm... Hummers aren't as fast as a Vette either... I guess there's something wrong with them too?

Oops... you do know that Harley's aren't metric, right? You said other metrics, so I wasn't sure...

Old 02-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: electraride2

torque and horsepower are two different things ........put a crotch rocket motor in a 870 lb HD and try driving that around...it would be like putting my wifes car engine a 4 CYL Hyundai in a Kenworth and try pulling an 80000 lb load across the country........
I guess you haven't heard of the people putting Hayabusa engines in Smart cars, or R1 engines in Citroen Saxos. Here are the specs: http://www.zcars.org.uk/saxo/specifications.htm

If an R1 engine can pull a 1500lbs car from 0-60mph in 5.1 sec I think it would pull a 870lbs Harley pretty good too.

A Harley engine can't even pull a Harley from 0-60mph in 5.1 sec, so what would happen if you put a Harley engine in that 1500lbs car. I'll tell you, it would be SLOW.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not trying to be rude, so pardon me for saying......but if you're having a hard time beating a 1985 minivan from a dead stop, then I'd say the problem isn't with the bike.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As has been said many times already here, if it's running correctly and you know how to ride, your RK should spank the average car most of the time on a short sprint. Top-end speed no, but from a red light you shouldn't have much trouble with most average passenger cars or vans.

As to the original poster's question as to why so slow?I guess we have to remember this is still a 1940's designed motor, butwith EFI added. I know that's an oversimplification, but it's probably more accurate than not.

Idon't care how fast my bike is, it's comfortable, moves along just fine and is agile and classy.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Rambo54
Intermediate

Bulls eye.

Quick Reply: why are Harleys so SLOWWWWWWWWW??