General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Slab vs. Twisties

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Slab vs. Twisties

Honestly I like them both. With friends the twisties I like better. My normal driving is from point A to point B. I am not one to drive for the sake of driving the bike. I like to go to a destination.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:32 PM
07yellowglide
Road Warrior

slabs suc

Old 02-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

I cant say I like the twisties on either of my Harleys, but I dont like to ride the highway too much either. I guess you could say I like the secondary roads best.....you know 45-50 MPH country road type of thing..
The freeway aint that bad when your in a group of ten or twenty bikes though. It seems that people tend to cut you much more slack when there is more then one of you.
I score that response a "10". I'm sort of the opposite as, primo. For years I was a get on the slab, and GET THERE kinda guy. Now I really would rather cruise the back roads and check out the scenery, the locals, Momma likes to stop at little shops, and can say, I've come to really enjoy that myself. (Plus it gives my ol' **** a chance to recuperate) As to the twisties,we REALLY enjoy the run up the North Shore of Lake Superior. (In the daylight) Justa super enjoyable ride thru curves that runs for 100+ miles. Got a watch for motorhomes, but a GREAT ride.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I ride mainly secondary roads. Twisties make me think and react and become one with the bike. I will ride the slabs when I have to go somewhere and have limited time. [sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to use the slab to get to an area if time is short then hit the backroads. When the wife is with all super slabs are off limits so we always take the long way. She don't like twisties either so won't she be surprised when we do the Dragon in May.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

I cant say I like the twisties on either of my Harleys, but I dont like to ride the highway too much either. I guess you could say I like the secondary roads best.....you know 45-50 MPH country road type of thing..
The freeway aint that bad when your in a group of ten or twenty bikes though. It seems that people tend to cut you much more slack when there is more then one of you.
Kind of relate to this answer as well. I guess what I really don't care for anymore are the mountain roads with switchback after switchback after switchback.

A good country road or scenic drive like marcss mentioned above(395 or Hwy 1 out here in Calif) with long stretches of 2 lane hwy with funky out of the way stops are pretty enjoyable.

Primo

Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

I like tha slab with less variables than the twisties. I'm into speed. If I had a sportbike I think it would be neat to put it on a track though. Would have to have a suit of armor though for when i went down cause I know I'd be pushing it to the limit and over.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that road - first time I road a bike was my brother's Yamaha 850 in 1987. I borrowed it for the summer awaiting my transfer to Germany. Stationed in Tucson, but from Phoenix, I rode I-10 every weekend back/forth. Got bored one afternoon and hit Mt. Lemmon Hwy. Beautiful ride. Will do again someday when I make it back out west. Have to stick to VA I-95 and a few nice country roads for now.

ORIGINAL: whaap

I prefer the twisties. My daily ride is perhaps the sweetest ride in southern Arizona. Catalina highway goes to the top of Mt. Lemon and is 27 miles long. In the winter I certainly don't go near the top but still enjoy the road. Also, I don't push it like I did in my younger days and even though it's twisties it's still laid back.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
whistler2000
Novice

What's a twisties? Down here in Fla. we ain't got no twisties, just long flat staight backroads! Kiddin', love the backroads over the super slab, unless I gotta be there in a hurry. Better twisties in North Florida.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:05 PM
HD Don
Advanced

Twisties and secondaries for me. I'm never in a hurry and get bored on the slab. Whenout for a day ride*I am always looking for nice county roads and have found a few cherries! It's about the ride, not how fast I get there. If time is important I take the car.
*a day ride for me is 8-9am till dark 2-300 miles. friends call me "short ride"

Quick Reply: Super Slab vs. Twisties