General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat on a Cross Bones yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Sat on a Cross Bones yesterday!

Thunder Mtn. HD in Loveland has a vivid black Cross Bones in their shop and they let me sit on it. First thing, I had to tell myself not to compare it to my Road King as they are completely different bikes. However, I was impressed with the CB; I liked its styling and the edginess that came from it. Its a great looking 'through-back' bike; the sprung seat is at 30"...no it doesn't sit low like a Deluxe...but being over 6' I found the seat to be comfortable and both of my feet were firmly planted on the floor. One look at the round brade pedal will remind you that the MOCO tried to add some very-retro aspects to it. It did remind me of the pedals my grampa had on his old 50's Chevy truck.

I'm looking forward to the coming months as more Cross Bones begin to show up and riders begin to add their own creativeness to the bike. If I had the $$ to buy one I would start with some different pipes and try some whitewalls to see how it looks on the bike.

Ride safe.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
pockets
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sat on a Cross Bones yesterday!

Got to sit one Friday, like the looks but not real impressed with the springer seat, seamed to pitch forward a bit. I'd have to put a few miles on one to really judge. On a side note. Fla had great riding weather this weekend, tons of bikes on the road. I saw 3 Rockers out cruisin, 2 were chicks.

Pockets

Old 02-04-2008, 12:38 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh great!![:@]Now are we gonna start calling the Cross~Bones a chick bike?!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Bluerose

Got to sit on one in Vegas this weekend. I like it but still had the same opinion of the rear fender....needs to wrap.[&:]

Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sat on one a few days ago. Did not care for the seat, but maybe time on it would help. Also did not care for the "ducktail" fender.
Liked the overall design of it, however.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 AM
One Terrific Hog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sat on one yesterday and found it pretty nice. I understand you can adjust the seat (how I don't know) but if it could shiftdown at an angle just a tad that would be cool. The handlebars were a good fit and the fat tires were awesome, I think a "bobber tail" instead of the boat tail would look good but that's just me.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TXSwede

Oh great!![:@]Now are we gonna start calling the Cross~Bones a chick bike?!
Hah!

Tell you what, I'm really digging the Cross Bones, which kinda surprises me a bit considering what I usually like. Never been a big fan of Springers, but dang... I'd throw a set of drag bars on there and call it a day. Nice ride. Might have to check out my local dealerships and see if they have one I can sit on.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: guitarman777

Hah!

Tell you what, I'm really digging the Cross Bones, which kinda surprises me a bit considering what I usually like. Never been a big fan of Springers, but dang... I'd throw a set of drag bars on there and call it a day. Nice ride. Might have to check out my local dealerships and see if they have one I can sit on.
I think drag bars would take it right out of the era it is supposed to represent.

I like everything about it except the rear fender.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sat on one Staturday at Blue Ridge HD in Hickory, NC. I love the looks, except the rear fender. I would like it more as a Springer Classic with the full fender, fringe bags, and fishtails. I thought I would really like the way it sat. I was disappointed. It just didn't sit right with me. I felt like I was riding high over top of the bike, instead of down in it. You can probably tell I have an Ultra, and it has the Road Zepplin seat. I'm just spoiled I guess. Every now and then, I steal the wife's Deluxe, and I love the seat/ride on it. I can appreciate the CrossBones, and admire it... but I'll let someone else ride it. BTW.. wife had the same impression.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 AM
GlassBikerNC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I sat on one Sat at Sheltons HD in Goldsboro, NC.

I loved it. The Spring Seat is not for everyone...they take some time getting used to and they do make you feel like you are on top of everything. I used to have a spring seat on my WG but it had nowhere near the padding that the one the CB has.

At first I didn't like the way the front wheel was an inch smaller than the rear but that has grown on me...more of a rat bike post WWII bobber feel toit.

I've got to say that I am a little partial to the rear fender.

I think the only things I would change on the CB are the exhaust, air filter (I'd keep the cover), and either go with apes or a flat track style bar.

Quick Reply: Sat on a Cross Bones yesterday!