General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Bottoming Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008 | 04:37 PM
Berella
|
Novice
Default Front End Bottoming Out

I have owned my dyna low rider about a year now and had some problems with height when I first purchased it - I am a 5'5" female with relatively short inseam. I had the shocks on the back changed out to 11" HD and had a Progressive lowering kit put in the front to bring the forks down an inch. I now have a problem with the bike bottoming out in the front when I hit bumps. I have read on the forums that the progressive front end is great for lowering the front end and that there should not be any bottoming out associated with it. The dealer tells me that because I lowered the front end that this is expected - I don't really agree but what do I know. Does any have any suggestions? As soon as the weather breaks I plan on bringing back into the dealer to address this problem again. I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Old 02-03-2008 | 07:45 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Front End Bottoming Out

The Dyna Low is already lower than the other Dyna's. So if you lowered it some more, chit, I don't know, seems to me that it might have a problem.

Old 02-03-2008 | 08:12 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Racetech has a variety of springs for different weight riders...we went with theirs for a 320lb brother of mine.....the heaviest they make. There's quite a few with lighter rates, as well as their emulators (cartriges for the forks) that work well. If you're bottoming out you've got the wrong spring/oil in your front.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/7F24BE5B019A4268A817E306175716EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2008 | 08:13 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

If you haven't done it already, I would email the tech dept. at Progressive and tell them your problem, here's the addy http://www.progressivesuspension.com/contact.htmlThey may suggest a different spring

I think your dealer is right, I'm not sure they did anything wrong (but it could happen). Did you try sitting on the bike with just the rear lowered? If not and Progressive says it's normal for the Low Rider front end to bottom out (with the setup you have), then the first thing I would do is get theforks back to the stock height and see how that feels. If it is still an issue, then get a lower seat (the seat and lowered rear should give you a good stance)

Old 02-03-2008 | 09:33 PM
Vinnie85FXWG
Tourer

You might have to cut your legs and rethread.

Old 02-03-2008 | 10:47 PM
darkside
Banned

Try running some thicker oil in the forks.That'll stiffen it up.

Old 02-03-2008 | 10:53 PM
20FXST06
Road Captain

Ditto Darkside!! Get some heavier weight fork oil. Also make sure you use the correct amount of oil for the Progressive setup.

Old 02-04-2008 | 06:49 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Berella

I have owned my dyna low rider about a year now and had some problems with height when I first purchased it - I am a 5'5" female with relatively short inseam. I had the shocks on the back changed out to 11" HD and had a Progressive lowering kit put in the front to bring the forks down an inch. I now have a problem with the bike bottoming out in the front when I hit bumps. I have read on the forums that the progressive front end is great for lowering the front end and that there should not be any bottoming out associated with it. The dealer tells me that because I lowered the front end that this is expected - I don't really agree but what do I know. Does any have any suggestions? As soon as the weather breaks I plan on bringing back into the dealer to address this problem again. I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Have you thought of getting suspension built for you? You can do it, no problem with the help from a great suspension shop. Call one to discuss your problems. Your Dyna has a 32 1/2" front fork, you have a large Dia. 19" front wheel, and there are options. For that moron to tell you "The dealer tells me that because I lowered the front end that this is expected" that and not offer you options, you need to find another source of information. The problem lies with dealers who have no experience with anything else Harley. If it is not in the catalog, they do not know about it. I never use a progresively wound spring for nothing...nothing! Linenar is the only way to go. Did you know that a lowered (or stock Stretglide) has only a 1/2" if travel with a 200 lb rider on it before it goes out of the "soft" spring rate and into the "hard" spring rate. I have included a photo of a 1" lowered (or stock Stretglide) spring for your own calculations. Figure the pre-load, sag than the 200 lb riders sag for yourself. Just measure than count the coils. How can HD sell this crap? If you are planing to trying to do this for the price of a Qt. of fork oil than you are S.O.L.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/CB1DD56BA5EE4AA3B1F868E53FDE6418.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2008 | 07:00 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I also recommend first changing the fork oil to a heavier weight....but what is very critical here is that exactly the correct amount be used, and the same exact amount be used in each fork leg. As little as a cc or two could make the difference between a set of forks that works as it should or a set that will knock the fillings out of your teeth when you go over a bump. The valving could also be changed to give you a stiffer compression damping....or the springs may need to be changed out again....???

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes. First call Progressive Suspension help line and tell them exactly what you have....and what was done to the front end....and what the problem was that made you change the stock set up.
Then tell them the problem your having right now. You would of course contact their tech help line....you could email them or call on the phone, but regardless of how you correspond with them, after a solution, or course of action is decided upon, have them email you with their instructions.....then print it out and take it with you to the dealer who did the change to the front suspension in the first place. Tell them that this is exactly what you want done....and tell them that if they have any questions to contact the person you talked with at Progressive for explanation and answers to any questions they may have.
If your servicing dealer can not or will not do as you like.....just inform them that they are not the only game in town, and that you will be taking your bike, and your money to another dealer or independent shop for everything it needs from here on.

Old 02-04-2008 | 08:02 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

It is obviously too late to "get in front" of the situation, which is exactly what the "dealer" ([:'(]) should have done for you. As it is now a "fix" the problem, start with biz44's approach and contact Progressive (they have ALWAYS beenmore than helpful to us)and explain the "whole" story to them. "If" you absolutelyneed a temp. fix, change the fork oil from 5W to 20W. This will "stiffen" the front end, but will also effect rebound, etc. If you do it yourself, insure you use the right amount of oil. There is a "wet" amount and a "dry" amount. The "dealer" should have plugged "all" the info in B4 they installed the system for you, and then put in the right emulator and springs for your configuration. (Weight, riding style, etc) I really do not know how some of those ppl sleep at night the way they treat ppl and their bikes. []The next thing to do, is "run" to a different shop, dealer or indy, who will treat you as a "valued" customer, and not "just a sale".

Quick Reply: Front End Bottoming Out